Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles


Reply

Issue with short stroking

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stockton, Utah
Posts: 68
Issue with short stroking

My AR-15 recently started short stroking. I've been using just the carbine upper on the rifle lower that I built for a 6.5 Grendel that I've ordered.

Could this be the cause of the short stroking?

I'm working on developing an accurate hand load for this and I really think using this lower gives me a more solid base to shoot from than the collapsable stock that that goes with that upper. If the A2 buffer is the culprit, is it ok to still shoot it that way temporarily? I'm ok with checking that a round chambered between each shot while doing load development as long as it is safe and won't damage anything.

Once I get the load worked out (and I think I'm close), I'll be putting my 4x scope and carbine lower back on it.

Also, if it makes a difference, most accurate load so far has been the lightest load I've made so my future tests will be even lighter loads. (Short stroking has been happening with two different brands of factory ammo along with my hand loads.)
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Issue with short stroking-photo-2013-12-18-16.24.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 400
Re: Issue with short stroking

Yes, you're most likely short stroking, because with the carbine gas system, you probably don't have enough juice to move your rifle length buffer and spring all the way to the rear of your tube.

It won't cause any damage, It's just a hassle.
__________________
"We do not rise to the occasion...we fall to the level of our training."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stockton, Utah
Posts: 68
Re: Issue with short stroking

I don't mind dealing with the hassle temporarily as long as it's safe. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to go shoot using my carbine stock and see if there are any problems.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,388
Re: Issue with short stroking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhusband View Post
I don't mind dealing with the hassle temporarily as long as it's safe. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to go shoot using my carbine stock and see if there are any problems.
It's not safe in my opinion! The ar family of weapons operates with a "floating firing pin" you need to run the correct spring and buffer for your barrel length and stock. If your not generating enough force to close the bolt, you run the risk of an " out of battery explosion". By, by rifle. Not to mention the fact that your doing load work ups with one spring and buffer that is generating one pis speed and then switch back to the other spring and buffer generating another IPA speed, that's not good and will most likely make all for load work up for s--t!
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 2,890
Re: Issue with short stroking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
It's not safe in my opinion! The ar family of weapons operates with a "floating firing pin" you need to run the correct spring and buffer for your barrel length and stock. If your not generating enough force to close the bolt, you run the risk of an " out of battery explosion". By, by rifle. Not to mention the fact that your doing load work ups with one spring and buffer that is generating one pis speed and then switch back to the other spring and buffer generating another IPA speed, that's not good and will most likely make all for load work up for s--t!
+1

Yep, you are risking your pipe here, bad cycling is to be avoided in floating firing pin rifles. I don't see the load changing much with the ar's lockup but why risk crappy cycling and the possibility of either bad load development or a damaged rifle??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SW Wisconsin
Posts: 222
Re: Issue with short stroking

Get a Bob Sled and work up your loads in single shot fashion. If you are short-stroking, generally the bolt isn't picking up the next round and there isn't really a safety concern other than stove-piping and jacking up your rounds. You could swap out the carbine buffer spring (NOT the buffer itself) and see if that allows the full cycle. Don't switch out the buffers as the carrier key will impact the receiver rather than the buffer taking up the rear impact.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 62
Re: Issue with short stroking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhusband View Post
My AR-15 recently started short stroking. I've been using just the carbine upper on the rifle lower that I built for a 6.5 Grendel that I've ordered.

Could this be the cause of the short stroking?

I'm working on developing an accurate hand load for this and I really think using this lower gives me a more solid base to shoot from than the collapsable stock that that goes with that upper. If the A2 buffer is the culprit, is it ok to still shoot it that way temporarily? I'm ok with checking that a round chambered between each shot while doing load development as long as it is safe and won't damage anything.

Once I get the load worked out (and I think I'm close), I'll be putting my 4x scope and carbine lower back on it.

Also, if it makes a difference, most accurate load so far has been the lightest load I've made so my future tests will be even lighter loads. (Short stroking has been happening with two different brands of factory ammo along with my hand loads.)

Shouldnt really make a diffrence with DGI gas system. Try the Carbine buffer and see if it cycles better. Less gas pressure from 5.56 than 6.5.
__________________
Jim Clarke
27 YR Mil Vet Ret.
God, Country and Family.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES - 62.45%
1,071 Vote
NO - 37.55%
644 Votes
Total Votes: 1,715
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC