Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM

Help...

Looking to buy an AR-15 don't really know what cal. Or brand/model to get want something that would be good quality and able to shoot distance and hunt yote/pdoggs suggestions please... kind leaning twords a 5.56 nato or 6.5 or what ever i dont know help please thanks looking forward to yoir reply thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help...

wizbang,

The more you can tell us about your needs, the better the suggestions will be to fill them. What sort of distances are you wanting to shoot? What sort of optics? What type of investment do you want to make here? And perhaps most importantly, do you reload your own ammo?

Let us know, and we'll see what we can come up with.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Hey thanks for your reply kevin. I'd like to shoot to 400-600yrds or more... i have no clue on optics ill pay up to 700$ 800$ for optics... I'd like to stay under the 1700$ range for the AR and yes i will be reloading hope this narrows it down more thanks again
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Or if you think more $ is needed for the AR that wont be a problem i am just guessin on the $
Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

Oh yeah, you can definately do something within that price range. Id suggest taking a look at the various makers out there, watching for;
1, something shown as a Match barrel that is NOT chrome lined. Avoid chrome lining like the plague, it's pure death where accuracy is concerned.
2, something that is floated. These will usually be listed as Varmint or Match configurations, but the result's the same. Simple guide to AR accuracy; start with a good barrel, and float it. The rest is icing.
3, something with a good trigger. I like two-stage, but that's a personal preference. If you want to step into an aftermarket down the road, that's a better step yet.
4, figure out what other features you like, and look for those in the right combination. I'd suggest trying Rock River first, as I think they probably offer more models/options that will be in line with what you're looking for,

Take a look at their website, and see if there's any models there that jump out at you, and we can chat a bit more after that. Might also check the other makers as well, but Rock River is where I'd start.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Thanks kevin will do!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

I bought a DPMS in 223 with a 24" heavy ss barrel with a 1:9 twist. Shoots about everything from 50-70 grains into a .25 MOA. Won a bunch of 200 and 300 yard egg shoots with it.Only changed the trigger to a RRA 2 stage Match. I have about 2000 rounds through it and it's still holding tight groups. My buddy has a Bushmaster Varmint in a similar configuration that performs as well. He installed a Jewel, 2 stage trigger. Both feed perfectly. Lots of good off the shelf AR's out there.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt