Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Grendels and AR style of guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Bronze Member

Grendels and AR style of guns

I need a little education about what a Grendel is. Example, My Brother in law is building a 6.5 Grendel. Is a Grendel a description or an actual manufacture like Remington or Winchester? I am specificly interested in building a tactical automatic style of a sniper rifle. I know most AR type of rifles are built in a .223. What about larger caliber auto guns in a tactical style gun are out there.

I hunt with a bolt action 7mm Remington mag and I have long range ability out to 1000 yards. Looking for some school of thought without being too judgmental.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Grendels and AR style of guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
I need a little education about what a Grendel is. Example, My Brother in law is building a 6.5 Grendel. Is a Grendel a description or an actual manufacture like Remington or Winchester? I am specificly interested in building a tactical automatic style of a sniper rifle. I know most AR type of rifles are built in a .223. What about larger caliber auto guns in a tactical style gun are out there.

I hunt with a bolt action 7mm Remington mag and I have long range ability out to 1000 yards. Looking for some school of thought without being too judgmental.

Thanks
If you are looking for a good like range caliber in a tactical automatic weapon then i suggest a 6.5 creedmoor. Quite a bit more balls than the Grendel. Dpms makes an LR rifle in this caliber. Great cartridge capable of incredible accuracy.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
If you are looking for a good like range caliber in a tactical automatic weapon then i suggest a 6.5 creedmoor. Quite a bit more balls than the Grendel. Dpms makes an LR rifle in this caliber. Great cartridge capable of incredible accuracy.
I was in full agreement up until this statement....By average, the 6.5 Creed is only about 300 fps faster than the Grendel. I don't know if I'd call that "quite a bit more balls".

The main difference is this....

6.5 Grendel - AR15 frame, tons of accessories, almost all accessories and parts that will fit in/on a regular AR15.

6.5 Creedmooor - AR10 frame, not as many aftermarket parts or support, and is heavier and bulkier.

These are the main differences in chambering an AR style weapon in the 6.5G vs 6.5 Creed. Either direction will be a good one, and both will excel at serving their purposes when used in their perspective ranges. And both calibers will excel over a .308 Win / 7.62 round....And I am a big .308 fan, but the truth is the truth, and facts are facts.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

So! The 6.5 Grendel is just a description of the cartridge, Not an actual gun. The 6.5 Grendel is built on an ar-15 platform. Just like a .223 can be put on an AR platform. I could build a 7mm-08 or .308 on an AR platform but Not a Grendel Platform. I think i got it.

So if I would say want a large magnum semi-auto I would have to use a different platform to build something like that right? I need to familiar myself more with the ballistics and abilities of the 6.5 Grendel vs other calibers now.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
So! The 6.5 Grendel is just a description of the cartridge, Not an actual gun. The 6.5 Grendel is built on an ar-15 platform. Just like a .223 can be put on an AR platform. I could build a 7mm-08 or .308 on an AR platform but Not a Grendel Platform. I think i got it.

So if I would say want a large magnum semi-auto I would have to use a different platform to build something like that right? I need to familiar myself more with the ballistics and abilities of the 6.5 Grendel vs other calibers now.
6.5 Grendel is THE top dog hotrod caliber that will fit in the AR15 platform. The .257 TCU and 7mm TCU will also fit, but they're not hotrods. They're built and designed off the .223 case. Same goes for .300 Blackout (7.62x35).

.308, 7mm-08, .260 Rem, WSSM calibers, 6.5 Creedmoor, etc...Will all have to be built on an AR10.

Nemo Arms makes a .300 WinMag AR style rifle. They're not cheap, but they are badass.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I was in full agreement up until this statement....By average, the 6.5 Creed is only about 300 fps faster than the Grendel. I don't know if I'd call that "quite a bit more balls".

The main difference is this....

6.5 Grendel - AR15 frame, tons of accessories, almost all accessories and parts that will fit in/on a regular AR15.

6.5 Creedmooor - AR10 frame, not as many aftermarket parts or support, and is heavier and bulkier.

These are the main differences in chambering an AR style weapon in the 6.5G vs 6.5 Creed. Either direction will be a good one, and both will excel at serving their purposes when used in their perspective ranges. And both calibers will excel over a .308 Win / 7.62 round....And I am a big .308 fan, but the truth is the truth, and facts are facts.
Mudrunner, According to the hornady handbook the Creedmoor pushes a 120 grain pill at 3000 fps. The grendel is listed at 2350 with the same bullet. Thats 650 fps. In my opinion thats quite a bit. Not sayin your wrong but thats what the manual says. Unless some better loads have been developed for it that i dont know about.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

Im not sayin that the grendel is a bad cartridge. Dont get me wrong, its an excellent ar-15 platform cartridge. i just prefer the extra velocity.