Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so maybe you guys can help me out . I'm currently looking for a DPMS in a 6.5 Creedmoor and was wondering if anyone knows alot about this rifle. I've wanted a "black gun" for awhile now but none of the calibers ever interested me. My dad bought a t/c icon precision hunter in a creed and its a sweetheart of a rifle. I've wanted a creed ever since. So i just wanted to see what you all thought about this rifle, or maybe you guys think there would be a better rifle for under 1200 bucks(college student you know). I am open to other rifle suggestions. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor

Both the 6.5Creed and .260 Rem will serve you just fine out of a gasser. The only difference is if you plan to reload, the Creed will allow you to seat longer bullets like the 140Amax and others...longer out of the case mouth to "chase the lands" and still remain at mag length.
If you plan on shooting factory ammo...you can probably just flip a coin as they are essentially ballistic twins.

Armalite and DPMS both make an excellent set up but the Armalite will probably run you a few dollars more depending on how long you search for the right price.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Yes i do reload. I don't have any interest in any other 6.5 cartridge. I was also looking at a savage lrh in a creed. Which do you think will be more accurate? The only thing i don't like about savage is their actions. Although i haven't picked up a new one to try.... Your thoughts?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

The accuracy will probably be a toss up and will greatly depend on your ability to shoot each rifle.
Most folks that are used to shooting a bolt action accurately, get frustrated when they shoot a semi-auto. It's not the same thing and you don't shoot them the same way.

I would feel confident saying that both should shoot at or below 3/4 MOA at 100...but it will depend on the shooter.

What is it about the Savage action you dislike?
Me personally, I just don't like how it "looks"...but the results are just fine and dandy.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bass16 View Post
The accuracy will probably be a toss up and will greatly depend on your ability to shoot each rifle.
Most folks that are used to shooting a bolt action accurately, get frustrated when they shoot a semi-auto. It's not the same thing and you don't shoot them the same way.

I would feel confident saying that both should shoot at or below 3/4 MOA at 100...but it will depend on the shooter.

What is it about the Savage action you dislike?
Me personally, I just don't like how it "looks"...but the results are just fine and dandy.
I just dont like the way their action work. Sticky, bolt comes up abnormally hard etc. But that might have been the older ones. like i said i haven't tried a new one as of late. The only thing i've ever shot was bolt action. The only semi i've shot is 22lr and rem model 8 in a 32 rem. I do like the looks of the dpms. The savage is kinda ehe. Have you heard how the ruger target model shoots?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Bronze Member

I own a DPMS in 6.5 Creedmore and it routinely shoots 1/2" @100 with hand loaded 140 bergers and slightly larger groups with Hornady 140 factory loads. It comes with a 8.5" twist too. Awesome rifle!!!