Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Close range glass... sorta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Close range glass... sorta

Trigicon ACOG 4X green horseshoe reticle. I didn't want to pay $1K for it, but it's perfect! Bullet proof, Lifetime warranty, only twelve for the tritium.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
Trigicon ACOG 4X green horseshoe reticle. I didn't want to pay $1K for it, but it's perfect! Bullet proof, Lifetime warranty, only twelve for the tritium.
I looked at one the other day, and it did look ideal. But putting an ACOG on my old brush beater rig would be like putting a $20 saddle on a $2 horse.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Gold Member

Leopold Scout Scope

FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm Leupold
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones View Post
I looked at one the other day, and it did look ideal. But putting an ACOG on my old brush beater rig would be like putting a $20 saddle on a $2 horse.
I agree that it looks that way at first thought. It feels that way after you shell out the cash and wait for it to arrive in the mail. It's seems like buying a brand new pickup just to take it rock crawling.

When it turns out that it's just an overpriced trials bike, that is exactly what it was made to do.

Bounce around for a few years in the tractor, or the HMMMV, make it to the range now and then, make nice accuracy, and maybe one day stop a chance 120gr 7.62x39mm. Great in low light woods, in the dark, and great at close up fast work.

Maybe I'm just making myself feel better about blowing a thousand, on a great optic. I've had enough bad luck with the 80-100dollar special Bushies, and BSAs. This time I got a solid American product, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

I was able to get the Stag out the other day & rock the VX-R for a while. I'm happy to report that I made the right decision. Crank her down to 1.25, kick on the dot & have some fun. Drop to prone crank it to 4x & I was able to put 5 @100 into about an inch. Not too dern bad for a 16" carbine.

I'm pleased to say the least.

t

Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I was able to get the Stag out the other day & rock the VX-R for a while. I'm happy to report that I made the right decision. Crank her down to 1.25, kick on the dot & have some fun. Drop to prone crank it to 4x & I was able to put 5 @100 into about an inch. Not too dern bad for a 16" carbine.

I'm pleased to say the least.

t
Good to hear. I'm a Leupy fan, so I'll probably go that route anyway. Do you feel like you were getting on target as quick as a dot sight (as in, both eyes open aiming)?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

I was going both eyes open & it didn't bother me. I believe with practice, you can rock it just like a red dot because, well, it has that too

A person should be able to train themselves to use the dot in the VX-R just like a standard red dot.

t