Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Building an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 PM

Re: Building an AR

researching at the moment and yet to decide what my goals are accuracy is important to me so i am focusing on barrel choices and trigger optionsi just dink around but do like to hit what i am aiming at
Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

I would say the barrel would be the most important consideration as far as accuracy goes. Trigger next, and then having it assembled properly. Barrel nut torque is important, but I will lap the barrel extension into the receiver face to make sure good square contact, and also use a loctite product on the extension/receiver bearing surface....is it really needed, probably not, but I believe it does help.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Bronze Member

Short range (100 yard) accuracy off the bench at paper targets was my objective with my AR15, and my approach paid off. It IS accurate. How did I get there?

1) Top notch heavy barrel. I opted for a Krieger 22" long .920 muzzle diameter, 1"9 twist barrel.
2) Light crisp trigger. Geiselle Match 2 stage.
3) High quality scope. Bushnell Tactical 6 - 24 x 50.
4) Proper fitting stock for good body position. The standard A2 is fine, IF you get the scope at the right height. Use the right rings. I positioned my scope low, using then Armalite one piece scope mount.
5) Rigid forearm. I used JP Rifles. Very pleased.
I used other good parts like a chrome bolt from Young Mfg, but these are less important to accuracy. My gun is heavy at 12.8 lbs., unloaded, but for the intended purpose, it is fine. Good ammo will make or break the performance. Reload if you can. The Krieger barrel shoots cheap PMC Bronze ammo pretty well. My daughter who never shot the rifle before shot about a 1/2" 4 shot group at 100 yards.

The barrel and trigger are not cheap, but saved some by not buying a fancy stock with features I will never use.

I also made sure the mating surface on the upper receiver was dead square with the bore centerline. I have a lathe where I can test this and fix if necessary. I used a beefy SunDevil upper receiver which is heavier than some. I used a SunDevil lower which has a screw to take up slop between the upper and lower. Some debate the benefits of that, but I like it. Careful assembly, proper torques, use of correct tools are all elements of top accuracy.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbanger View Post
researching at the moment and yet to decide what my goals are accuracy is important to me so i am focusing on barrel choices and trigger optionsi just dink around but do like to hit what i am aiming at