Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

BRD will get you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 02:26 AM

Re: BRD will get you.

Woodnut, thanks for the kind words. It's been a few years worth of collecting getting to this point! I'm working two angles at the moment, an SRT Shadow titanium for the DPMS and now that complete upper in 300 Whisper.

After fiddling with that new Hornady 123grn A-max ammo in 7.62x39, I've decided I like it and not to break that old upper down. It's as much fun for blasting as the SKS/AK but without the need for hearing protection.

As for the Shootin' Deck, that was an afterthought from rebuilding the barn after Katrina. It works great coming off the hayloft. You can see from the picture below what the attraction is for the foxes/cats & yotes; plenty of food on the hilltop buffet! It works out great because we can come up through the barn, unseen and out on to the deck. We were doing some target practice after I missed a big yote the night before (down where the white target is at the creek.)

The last pick is my good lady's little sister and friend after a hard day of rat hunting in the barn, which happens to be the 10/22 from the pic above after removing the 17mach2 conversion and putting the EA Brown company sub-sonic barrel with the Outback II mounted. The Taurus 44 was a joke. I wasn't home for this, but it's rumored that a few Margaritas were harmed in the making of this picture!!!

As for the things that bite, itch & etc; you are correct! I've got a boonie hat with a face net sewn on, that is great at keeping the mosquitos out. The real problem is the best predator hunting is when the wind is blowing from the south, unfortunately that also blows the biting gnats up from the coast and they fit right through my face netting! You absolutely cannot ignore those little turds. I'm not even going to get into the fire ants.

Cheers,
Southbreeze
Attached Images

Last edited by Southbreeze; 03-25-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

Oh, you guys are having waaaay too much fun ! Can ya tell I'm envious ? But, I gotta remember the biting,iching, stinging thingies. And no, I haven't forgotten about them red bugs either! And something people forget; fire ants climb trees! I was sitting in a tree stand and so were they. Not a good hunt. The Spanish Moss makes fer good hiding places,too.
Back to more important things. Guns ! What's the smallest cal. you have used successfully on yotes? My upper builder in Colo. says he routinely whacks em with the 20 TAC(driver) and 39gr. SBKs. But here in the East they grow em bigger and I will take my 223 A.I. after them.
Yeah, Margaritas have been known to make people do funny things. That's what I hear, anyways. Certainly hasn't happened to me ! Now as for tequila...that's an entirely different story.......
Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 AM

My Good Lady, nicknamed PPM or pistol packing mama (her taurus in the rat killing pic) has double tapped one with the aguila sss 60grns out that 10/22 @ 35 yards. Smallest for me on a yote is 223 with 68grn HP's. About split half time with 55grn Hornady soft points out of my prairie dog 22-250.

We're covered up with red/gray foxes here the last 6 months and the 22-250 is brutal. So for her carbon15 I just got some 36 grn varmint grenades to see how that does on them.

I just got a "Mako Shark" in 204 and some 45grn soft points that I'm itching to try out...soon as I connect with fur I'll post the results!

SB
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM

Woodnut, this is my original yote whacka. It ain't an AR but she's devastatingly accurate. FN mauser98 action, Shilen bbl, timney trigger set @ 2 1/4 lbs and lightforce 170 sho nuff spot light!

Cheers,
SB
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Southbreeze, You ought to look at the ND3 light by Laser Genetics. I finally figured out how you're supposed to use it and man, what a light ! Prices usually are $300; but you can get it for $270.; maybe less. I clamped mine on the gas block's picatinny rail. Yep, right in front of the scope. When you dial the beam open, it will fill the scope, you'll see crosshairs and target. I watched raccoons at 90 yards at 10PM with no moon. Was waiting on a pig that never showed up. This thing really is a great "poor man's night vision". Problem is it comes with a 1 inch mount; the 30mm cost you another $50. That's why it was mounted on the block. Works great though!
BTW, you sure do some serious damage to foxes! If you're whackin em just around yer house; that's a lot of foxes living there. And, are you saying the 10/22 double tapped a yote ? I just saw an ad for the Aquilla 60 super quiets. So are they accurate?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:29 AM

The nd-3 is cool, but with the beam tight enough to see at 150 yards, it'll turn a yote around. Coons, possums, hogs just don't care. I've seen the foxes slow down if I hit them with the beam before they get sight of a duck. Now once they get eyes on a duck, you just about can't get them to leave. I shot 3 times one night when I first got that Halo/EBR Sub-sonic ammo; it also had an m3 aimpoint. Not good trying to put a bright red dot on a red fox, at night!! At 70 yards it just covers them up.

Aguila, I read the reviews about "key holing." When I took the Mach2 conversion off my 10/22, I got the 1 in 9" special twist "SSS" barrel from EA Brown Co. It's twist will stabilize the 60grn aguilas. It drops pretty quick, but it's got a hell of a lot more penetration than the standard CCI 40grn subsonics. It's a weird looking bugger, like a double length lead bullet stuck in a 22 short case.

As for the predators, we live about 1/4mile north of the 6500acre FEDERAL Sandhill Crane NWR. No hunting, hell we can't even ride our horses in there! So, we believe that's were the constant supply of toothed critters comes from.

Here's a couple of cat pix from our place last summer and a pair of coyotes at the creek from the barn cam, the same culvert we're shooting at from the hayloft deck in the other photos. (I put PPM up one of those pan/tilt/zoom sony webcams at the corner of the barn) you know fer remote surveillance!! That female coyote on the patio (dead!) is the light colored yote in the pic below. I lost sight of the black one in white out from the smoke of the first shot that took his girl. Shot from the kitchen door, 138 yards @ 0415 in the morning.

Cheers,
SB

??Did we hijack this thread?? Sorry guys.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
BRD will get you.-bobcat.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Southbreeze; 03-25-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Southbreeze, I think we have ! I'll post one (this one) more reply. I gotta say , I've never seen deer hanging with cats ! I've seen them stomp and snort at them from a safe disdance; but never seen this. WOW !
And thanks for the tip about yotes and the "tight" beam. I haven't gone yet; just the deer and possum and raccoons at 80 yards that could have cared less.
You take care and keep up the AR whackin ! Cheers, Charles