Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Bolt action upper???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Bolt action upper???

With all this ridiculous "semi-auto ban" talk, I started thinking about the feasibility of a bolt action upper. I own an AR in 6.8spc which I cannot hunt with here in Pennsylvania (law states "manually operated actions" only). But it's still fun to shoot.

I figured if a true bolt action upper were available, it could be a great way to avoid this whole "semi-auto"ban scare, AND create new manufacturing jobs. Plus, it would make an AR platform rifle legal to hunt with in all "rifle approved" hunting states (some states do not all rifles [NJ]).

I know Remington makes the MSR, but it's not a true AR, but it does look very close to what I imagine a bolt AR would look like.. I am also not interested in learning how to Jerry-rig a semi auto into a semi-bolt action. I would love the opportunity to go deer hunting with my bolt action .308, then if I wanted to go coyote hunting, I could carry a .223 upper in my backpack. Simple pin-and-switch.

Anyway, is it even possible? If so, would you buy one?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bolt action upper???

any thing is possible but why
Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Mag fed.

Buy one lower with all of the expensive goodies you wish.

Ability to swap calibers or change to a cool barrel with a push of two pins.

Good idea.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megastink View Post
With all this ridiculous "semi-auto ban" talk, I started thinking about the feasibility of a bolt action upper. I own an AR in 6.8spc which I cannot hunt with here in Pennsylvania (law states "manually operated actions" only). But it's still fun to shoot.

I figured if a true bolt action upper were available, it could be a great way to avoid this whole "semi-auto"ban scare, AND create new manufacturing jobs. Plus, it would make an AR platform rifle legal to hunt with in all "rifle approved" hunting states (some states do not all rifles [NJ]).

I know Remington makes the MSR, but it's not a true AR, but it does look very close to what I imagine a bolt AR would look like.. I am also not interested in learning how to Jerry-rig a semi auto into a semi-bolt action. I would love the opportunity to go deer hunting with my bolt action .308, then if I wanted to go coyote hunting, I could carry a .223 upper in my backpack. Simple pin-and-switch.

This is what you're looking for, but as the video states. They are not very reliable in the larger hunting calibers because in order to keep cases from getting stuck, you need to rotate the bolt. (like you do in a regular bolt action) When you lift the bolt...the handle cams across the reciever making the case rotate at the same time is moves back ever so slightly. This gets it loose from the chamber and allows easy extraction.
This kind of strait pull design is missing that rotation, aspect of the bolt throw.

(and don't get you're hopes up on being able to use it anyway. The list of features they are looking to ban would include this model, simply because it has a pistol grip)
Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

I live in Mass where the Ban that they are looking to reinstatte ,was never lifted. We have been able to purchase these rifles with pistol grips. They are specifically produced by some f the manufacturers to meet the regs. I am pretty sure, but not positive, that it's the aggregate of certain features that would make a pistol grip illegal. That is why we saw AK's with the ridiculous stocks that had a giant thumb hole. Anyway, while I think the Ban is crap, my AR shooting snd hunting has not been influenced. I like the idea of a positive lock bolt for an AR, for my long range work. Might be a great business opportunity for someone.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
...I am pretty sure, but not positive, that it's the aggregate of certain features that would make a pistol grip illegal. That is why we saw AK's with the ridiculous stocks that had a giant thumb hole.
That's correct, but only for the OLD 1994 ban. The liberals feel the reasons it didn't work as well as they expected...is because there were to many "loopholes." If you look at the list that's going around now. It doesn't need to be an aggregate of some features. It's ANY features that would make it illegal.

This 870 is LEGAL

This 870 would be ILLEGAL
Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megastink View Post

I would not buy one. I'm not a big fan of multi-use rifles as you describe.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty neat concept. I might buy one for plinking. However, nothing beats a rifle designed with a specific purpose. Bolt actions are the best for long range use. Optics would be another issue. My .223 AR upper would only be used out to 300 yards while my bolt gun would be ready for 600 yards or more. Something to think about.

I spent many moons in the USMC caryying an M16A2 and an M40A1/A3. This would still be my preferred method. It adds more weight but I guess I'm old school that way.

It does interest me enough that I will keep my eye out for any developments.