Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Better group with warmer barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Better group with warmer barrel

I went to the range today to try to zero in my new ar. Just to preface I am a veteran shooter who reloads for my bolts and get 1/2" groups with numerous rifles. I was shooting my bushmaster xm 15 that I just got about two weeks ago. I did break the barrel in with the 1 shot-clean method for the first 20 rounds on a previous visit to range. So today I shot it at 50yds to sight in my new scope. After that went to 100 where my first 3 shot group was about 4". I continued to shoot with allowing 2 minutes between shots (it was 35 degrees here today). Total group for about 25 rounds was 5". Then I took some fast shooting to have some fun. I then decided to try to group again. I ended up getting 3/4" 5 shot group. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them or any ideas why my group was amazingly better with a warm barrel? By the way I was using cheap steal casing ammo in 55gr.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Better group with warmer barrel

Maybe it wasn't as much a case of the barrel heating as it was a case of it fouling. Just a thought.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: Better group with warmer barrel

So you are saying the barrel might have fouled and tightened up my groups? Never gave that a thought but I guess that makes sense. I did clean the barrel when I got home so we'll see what happens next trip to the range with a cold, clean bore.