Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

AR10 - Buy or Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: AR10 - Buy or Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
If I didn't want a 308, 260 would be my other choice! The 6.5 Grendel is nice, however, ammo is an issue!
Not at all my dear Watson....

Buy some 6.5 Grendel small-base dies and throw a bunch of old .308 Win or 7.62 Lake City brass through the sizing die, trim (if you need to), and enjoy.

6.5 Grendel is a caliber I've been obsessed with for well over 10 years. Stays supersonic LONG beyond the .308 Win, and with Berger 140 VLD's should be quite nasty out to 1,200 yards on deer.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Correction on that last; You can't make Grendel cases out of 308 Win; they're completely different head sizes. The Grendel could be made out of 7.62x39, but not the 7.62x51 (7.62 NATO). I think you may be confusing this with the 6.5x47, which shares the same .473" head diameter as the 308/7.62 NATO cartridges.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
I bought the DPMS LR260....killed 2 birds with one stone. wanted to get into an AR platform and also wanted a 6.5. I had to put an aftermarket trigger to get it to suit me. It shoots .75 inch groups with practically anything you feed it. I have a bunch of 142 gr smk's loaded up for it. I have shot the drops out to 800 yds with it with great results.

My thoughts are that the 24" BBL is more than a plenty as mine is heavy as hell. if I were doing it over I would go with a fluted barrel for weight loss. AJ

Dogdinger what did you pay for the LR260? Thats a sweet setup. Friend has one and as you said its SUB MOA with just about anything.

Jimbo
Old 09-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varangi View Post
JMHO-
What type of shooting- Static prone or bench vs. tactical, CQB style?
Practical Distance- Range of shooting?
Weight and ergonomics of platform?

I have used many variations of the SR-25 or DPMS style 308 AR platforms in the last 20 years. These were mostly working "Battle Rifles". Most with field expedient mods to make it run for the conditions. Only in the past 5 years or so did I have ready access to all the bling that the internet offers.
My all around favorite for a factory or pre-built 308 rat gun is Mark Larue's 18" OBR- I outshot the bolt guns out to 1300 yrds. w/ factory Black Hills 175SMK's. It's light enough for occasional walks through the forest.
But, as I get older and wiser- lazier, weight and ergonomics are more important.

The FBI has been experimenting with faster twist barrels and lighter bonded rounds. Without giving up their secrets, 155gr bonded 308's are staying supersonic out past 1200yrds in faster rifling.

I currently use POF's 14.5" gas gun as my primary 308 precision gun when a bolt gun just won't do. It's light and can be carried around all day- and will keep up with most of its longer barreled cousins. I even use this when most are using M4 SPR's. I pull off the scope and mount a red dot or holographic site. Nobody notices until it goes bang.

Good Luck

Mike
Mike,
Couldnt agree more. Great platform with the short barrel. EOTECH and the mag out. Once the mag is in all bets are off and they know your cheating
Old 10-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Not at all my dear Watson....

Buy some 6.5 Grendel small-base dies and throw a bunch of old .308 Win or 7.62 Lake City brass through the sizing die, trim (if you need to), and enjoy.

6.5 Grendel is a caliber I've been obsessed with for well over 10 years. Stays supersonic LONG beyond the .308 Win, and with Berger 140 VLD's should be quite nasty out to 1,200 yards on deer.
Sorry, was speaking of factory ammo!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 10-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

jimbo,
I bought mine back during the panic after obamas reelection so I wont even say. I feel I paid a premium , but didn't get hosed. I have seen them for sale since then for a couple hundred less. the new trigger cost me 189 I think, but was well worth it. AJ
Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Correction on that last; You can't make Grendel cases out of 308 Win; they're completely different head sizes. The Grendel could be made out of 7.62x39, but not the 7.62x51 (7.62 NATO). I think you may be confusing this with the 6.5x47, which shares the same .473" head diameter as the 308/7.62 NATO cartridges.
Kevin, you are correct, just saw this post. Yes, I had a brain fart and completely spaced...Yes, 7.62x39 is what I was referring to, but had it all ass-backwards in my head.

My appologies for the misinformation before.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.