Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles


Reply

AR Scope concern

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montgomery TX
Posts: 184
AR Scope concern

I got a DPMS LR 308 and my scope height is 2.7"....
I am not used to a scope that high off the barrel.
Is this really a concern to worry about or should I just zero the rifle for 50 yards ???
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,067
Re: AR Scope concern

What type of rings? Height?

Are you using a riser of any kind?
__________________

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montgomery TX
Posts: 184
Re: AR Scope concern

No riser on this , a flat top.
The scope mount came with scope.
Mounted on rifle, Center of scope to rifle bore; Its 2.7" high
Scope is a Kruger Tac-Driver 1.5-5x IR
I use this this for pigs and yotes where my shots are under 150 yds..
In ravines and dry creek beds.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 381
Re: AR Scope concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbob View Post
No riser on this , a flat top.
The scope mount came with scope.
Mounted on rifle, Center of scope to rifle bore; Its 2.7" high
Scope is a Kruger Tac-Driver 1.5-5x IR
I use this this for pigs and yotes where my shots are under 150 yds..
In ravines and dry creek beds.

With that style of shooting, the sight high should really be of no concern. It's not uncommon for an AR sight height to be upwards of 2.5 so unless you want to get a stock with adjustable comb...or a stock pack you can use to lift up your face a bit...just learn to roll with it.
At those ranges, I don't foresee an issue.

Is there a reason you want to zero at 50?
I rarely make this suggestion...but you might be well off by setting up a MPBR at somewhere between 25 and 200. Your sight height won't make that impossible.
__________________
"We do not rise to the occasion...we fall to the level of our training."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montgomery TX
Posts: 184
Re: AR Scope concern

Thx for the info Bass16... I figured that at 50 yards it would be zeroed at 200 also ,...
My wife just bought me a new scope; a Nikon 3 4-16x Mil dot, the Monarch. This was after what could have been a tragic hunt, with a cheap scope blanking out when my partner depended on me, on a herd of 40+dangerous critters.... I put it on my savage 308 model 110, my long range rifle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,198
Re: AR Scope concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbob View Post
I got a DPMS LR 308 and my scope height is 2.7"....
I am not used to a scope that high off the barrel.
Is this really a concern to worry about or should I just zero the rifle for 50 yards ???
The AR standard stock style is straight combed so the scope or open sight height is going to be generally higher, 2-3". The scope should be mounted so when the cheek is on the comb, the eye should be comfortably aligned with the scope. For longer distence shooting the higher scope height would be more sensitive to rifle cant effectiving POI. No problem zeroing for 50 yards, but most shooters would zero at 100 or 200 yards. With these zeros you would better take advantage of the bullet's trajectory. iMO.
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montgomery TX
Posts: 184
Re: AR Scope concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
The AR standard stock style is straight combed so the scope or open sight height is going to be generally higher, 2-3". The scope should be mounted so when the cheek is on the comb, the eye should be comfortably aligned with the scope. For longer distence shooting the higher scope height would be more sensitive to rifle cant effectiving POI. No problem zeroing for 50 yards, but most shooters would zero at 100 or 200 yards. With these zeros you would better take advantage of the bullet's trajectory. iMO.
I think that's what i'm going to do. This rifle has a collapsible stock on it. and I got a pad for my cheek, that's like, maybe, a half inch thick, so when I throw up, my eye is in line every time, left or right for me. Also according to the trajectory of a .308 , 150 gr bullet; if you zero it at 50, its zeroed at 200 yds.
__________________

Last edited by hunterbob; 10-21-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: forgot about 50 yd Zero = 200 also
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?
0 to 200 yards - 25.87%
1,479 Vote
201 to 400 yards - 32.07%
1,834 Vote
401 to 600 yards - 23.14%
1,323 Vote
601 to 800 yards - 10.02%
573 Votes
801 to 1,000 yards - 3.93%
225 Votes
Over 1,000 yards - 4.97%
284 Votes
Total Votes: 5,718
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC