Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

AR - Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Gold Member

AR - Reloading

Is there anything i need to know for reloading my ar that would be different than reloading by rem. 700? I never reoladed for a semi before, and only neck size for it. I know i will have to fl for the Ar. Btw, im looking for a full length 223 die seems like there wiped out too. Should of bought one years ago.
Mike
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: AR - Reloading

Always full length size. Make sure you bump the shoulder back a few thousands. Be sure the primers are fully seated. Verify that your loaded round will fit in the magazine unless you want to single feed.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

With lever actions, and semi's I use SB small base dies when available. I use mine for hunting, and that one time I didn't get the BCG all the way forward because a case was a little overgrown!! I went home empty handed.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Mike33,

Cases gages; use them. They'll save you a tremendous amount of trouble that could all be easily avoided by simply setting the dies correctly to begin with. Reloading for ARs (any semi-auto, for that matter) is a form of advanced handloading. Needs to be treated differently than a bolt gun all the way around. The other posters have already given you some good advice, and it should be followed.

I'd recommend oicking up a copy of Glen Zediker's Handloading for Competition: Making the Target Bigger as a great place to start, there's a wealth of info in there specifically as to what goes into loading ARs successfully.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Sometimes full-length szing might not even be enough. I have the RCBS AR-Series Small-Base dies which shrinks the base down just enough for proper cycling in semi-auto rifles. They're not any more expensive than regular ones are, but they might be harder to find right now since all the Odumber gun ban talk...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

I have reloaded thousands of 223's for three different AR's. I like the RCBS FL X dye for 223. No jams, no case trimming and superb case life and accuracy. The X dye design requires just an initial trim, sizing all cases to the same length. The dye has a stop at the case mouth that once adjusted, sizes the case length in addition to the case itself. I get 10+ reloads out of Lapua brass. I was skeptical of the dye at first but it works perfectly. I use it for my DPMS, Bushmaster, and Colt HBar.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt