Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

AR caliber and make advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

Re: AR caliber and make advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino74 View Post
Like the above post the 6.5 Creedmoor will require a .308 sized lower. If you go with a 5.56 sized lower, you could swap back and forth between the 6.5 grendel and 6.8. The good news on the 6.5 Grendel is that since SAMMI has now adopted the cartridge, Alexander Arms has relinquished its trademark on the cartridge and Hornady now makes ammo for that caliber. I'd go with the 5.56 sized lower and mate it with either the 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel. I'm partial to the Grendel mainly due to its longer range capabilities but either one of those calibers should be able to do the job.
Kino74, thanx, that sounds like the way to go. I've heard the grendel has relatively mild recoil (at least it shouldn't be much worse than a 243), and the Hornandy website shows a couple different bullet choices for hand loading, so it seems to fit the bill.

Does anyone other than Alexander make an upper in the grendel? I'm also curious as to the quality of the SI Defence lower. The guy at one of the local gun shop mentioned that SI stuff is way overpriced and nothing special at all... but the same guy told me that the AR15 lower won't work with a 6.5Grendel upper assembly...

Any thoughts on the SI Defence stuff? If it's not up to par, I figured I'd go with a DPMS lower or maybe Rock River. Unless someones got a better idea.

Thanx guys,
Cody
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Have you considered a stag arms lower? They're very nice and have a large stag imprinted on the side. I have a stag arms lower I am using on my M4 style AR15 and its a nice lower. On the Stag Arms website you can see the Stag imprint.

Stag Arms - Worldwide Leader In AR Manufacturing

There are a lot of good lowers out there so don't pay an arm and leg for one.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Another good manufacturer is Mega Machine in Tumwater, WA. They are some of the best receivers I've seen and they are a great price. They have standard forged and billet if you prefer.

Mega Arms :: Component Catalog
Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino74 View Post
Have you considered a stag arms lower? They're very nice and have a large stag imprinted on the side. I have a stag arms lower I am using on my M4 style AR15 and its a nice lower. On the Stag Arms website you can see the Stag imprint.

Stag Arms - Worldwide Leader In AR Manufacturing

There are a lot of good lowers out there so don't pay an arm and leg for one.
Just checked out the Stag site, They look pretty good. I'm a southpaw, so their lefty guns really caught my eye. That might just be the way to go.
thanx
Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Gold Member

How adout some feed back on the SI Defence stuff? Their shop is about 10 min from my house, so I'd still like to go with them, unless they suck...
Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones View Post
Just checked out the Stag site, They look pretty good. I'm a southpaw, so their lefty guns really caught my eye. That might just be the way to go.
thanx

Southpaws unite!! lol I have two Stag setups, one in 6.8SPC & the other in 5.56. I also run a Rock River lower on my .50 Beowulf.... & a DPMS AR-10 in .243.

The Stags are treating me really well, I can't say anything bad. The Rock River is still pretty new (first one I assembled myself) but so far function is 100% with the whoppnig 30 rounds of .50 cal i've run through it. I can't help you with the lower you are talking about, haven't gotten my hands on one. Stag caters very well to the Lefties of the world so they got my business....
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Southpaws unite!! lol I have two Stag setups, one in 6.8SPC & the other in 5.56. I also run a Rock River lower on my .50 Beowulf.... & a DPMS AR-10 in .243.

The Stags are treating me really well, I can't say anything bad. The Rock River is still pretty new (first one I assembled myself) but so far function is 100% with the whoppnig 30 rounds of .50 cal i've run through it. I can't help you with the lower you are talking about, haven't gotten my hands on one. Stag caters very well to the Lefties of the world so they got my business....
I just took another look at the Stag site. They are showing a different lower for the 6.8 than the 5.56. What's the difference? I thought the point of the 6.8 was that it fit a standard 5.56 lower.