Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles


Reply

AR-15 Value

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16
AR-15 Value

I have the opportunity to buy a a Colt AR-15, serial number is just under 1800. It's in perfect condition, under 1000 rounds through it. What's a rifle like this worth?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,391
Re: AR-15 Value

What model Colt? Its very hard to say. You can get a new one for under a grand, so unless your a collector of rare ones, I need more info.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Not where I would like to be
Posts: 128
Re: AR-15 Value

Is there something special about it...what do you plan to do with it. What is the book value what isits shape....etc.etc...
__________________
DAVE KRAVETZ

"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2011, 07:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16
Re: AR-15 Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback7 View Post
Is there something special about it...what do you plan to do with it. What is the book value what isits shape....etc.etc...
I'll have to get the exact model. Other than being a very low serial number and being in perfect condition there is nothing special about it. I'll continue to keep it in a safe.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Patagonia Mountains, Arizona
Posts: 757
Re: AR-15 Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryh View Post
I'll have to get the exact model. Other than being a very low serial number and being in perfect condition there is nothing special about it. I'll continue to keep it in a safe.
A picture is worth 1000 words or more in this case. What's "special" can be subtle to collectors.

I don't know of any early Colt AR-15s with just a 4 digit serial number. If it's marked SP018xx then it was made in 1964 and would be a collectors item as only about 2500 were made that year. Does the lower have a factory name engraved? AR-15s of that vintage didn't have forward assist buttons.

You might also ask the same question (with photos) on AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) where there are some knowledgeable collectors.

Value? More than you could buy a new one for if it's in excellent condition.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16
Re: AR-15 Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
A picture is worth 1000 words or more in this case. What's "special" can be subtle to collectors.

I don't know of any early Colt AR-15s with just a 4 digit serial number. If it's marked SP018xx then it was made in 1964 and would be a collectors item as only about 2500 were made that year. Does the lower have a factory name engraved? AR-15s of that vintage didn't have forward assist buttons.

You might also ask the same question (with photos) on AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) where there are some knowledgeable collectors.

Value? More than you could buy a new one for if it's in excellent condition.
It's an SP1. I'll have to dig up some pics, we were shooting it this past summer.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montana Plains
Posts: 289
Re: AR-15 Value

The least I sold an AR-15 for was $650 (Olympic standard) and the most was $1000 with a cheap scope and mount and detachable handle sight (Colt flat top). All were in great shape.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC