Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

ar-15 cal.options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ar-15 cal.options?

Some other good options mentioned here, but I'd suggest avoiding the 7.62x39 due to reliability problems. Frankly, I've never seen one of these that would function reliably, which is kind of ironic since it's probably one of the most reliable cartridges ever designed for automatics, and the AR is one of the most reliable autoloaders ever developed. They just don't play well together, due to the geometry of the cartridge and the mag design of the AR.

The real question here, is what do you want to use this rifle for? That question alone should steer you into the right choice.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Gold Member

At least one other cartridge which feeds though the AR-15 lower magazine is 2-1/2" 410 shotgun. An 18" smoothbore semi-auto upper is imported from Safir Arms in Turkey.

There are several uppers in which ammo does not feed though the lower. One is the AR-57 upper. It uses a 50 round FN magazine mounted above the barrel and shoots 5.7x28 FN ammo. It's available in pistol/SBR or carbine barrel length. It uses the lower mag well to drop or catch spent brass.

There are also several makers of large caliber single shot uppers which use the AR-15 lower. Those are available in 50 BMG, 416 Barrett, 338 Lapua, and other calibers.

There's even the PSE TAC crossbow upper for an AR-15 lower.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Bronze Member

kevin, theres no real reason other than " just cuz" or i wish the 223 had a little more thump. and i figure i better spend it before the wife does!I love the ar platform,if you set and really look at it the design they were ingeanious in the way its simple but effective,adaptive,reliable,ease to assy. and repair or replace. the best way i can explane it to people is,its like building a drag car out of a JEGS catalog.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
At least one other cartridge which feeds though the AR-15 lower magazine is 2-1/2" 410 shotgun. An 18" smoothbore semi-auto upper is imported from Safir Arms in Turkey.

There are several uppers in which ammo does not feed though the lower. One is the AR-57 upper. It uses a 50 round FN magazine mounted above the barrel and shoots 5.7x28 FN ammo. It's available in pistol/SBR or carbine barrel length. It uses the lower mag well to drop or catch spent brass.

There are also several makers of large caliber single shot uppers which use the AR-15 lower. Those are available in 50 BMG, 416 Barrett, 338 Lapua, and other calibers.

There's even the PSE TAC crossbow upper for an AR-15 lower.
Lou is right . There are so many that it is hard sometimes to decide.

If you want a middle of the road caliber the 6.8 might be a good choice and another good one
that has not been mentioned is the 450 Bushmaster. It uses a 250 grain bullet @ 2200 ft/sec
and is death on hogs. Bushmaster makes the upper (It is specail built for this cartrige) and
comes in 2 barrel lengths. I also have the Tac 15 for my AR lower. all the uppers fit, and function
great on my Rock River lower and are easy to change out.

The only modification I made to the lower was an aftermarket trigger.

Lots of choices. look at as many cartriges as you can and decide based on need and usage.

good hunting

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Beakus33,

Fair enough, and a perfectly valid reason. However, it's the one answer/reason that doesn't automatically resolve the caliber choice question. Got a 300 AAC Blackout going together myself right now, for no other reason than it's a neat little concept and I wanna play with it. Just ordered a bunch of other uppers and lowers that I suspect are eventually going to turn into 6.5 Grendels or LBCs, and possibly a 6.8 SPC. But you're right; they're tinker toys for bigger kids, and they can be done up in ways only limited by the imagination.

Have at it!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Silver Member

I love my 6.8 SPC - I have killed many Mule deer, elk, black bear, and coyotes with mine over the past 4 years. My two oldest kids have also killed their first animals with it. Overall, I consider it one of the best AR platform improvements in the history of AR's. My only wish is that I could have carried it in Afghanistan or Iraq!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

When it comes to the AR15 the sky is truly the limit. There are so many directions you can go it will give you a headache. You did mention that you wanted more punch. contrary to popular thought process on the web, the .223 has a lot more punch than people think. It's certainly no replacement for a larger bore rifle but you would be surprised what you can do with one if you use the right bullet and stay within its balistic limitations. I personally am a 6mm fan. When I have the money on hand I want to build a 6mm turbo 40 upper.

Now that I have come down off my soap box, exactly what are you going to do with the secondary upper?

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64