Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

AR-10, LR-308, and how many others are there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: AR-10, LR-308, and how many others are there?

Would I be better off to just buy an LR308 and re-barrel it in .284 Win.? Seems like a hell of a lot less trouble, and I wouldn't give up much velocity. Even if I have to use the lighter bullets, I think I can get it done out to 800. Brass is pretty readily available, as well as load data.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhunts View Post
Would I be better off to just buy an LR308 and re-barrel it in .284 Win.? Seems like a hell of a lot less trouble, and I wouldn't give up much velocity. Even if I have to use the lighter bullets, I think I can get it done out to 800. Brass is pretty readily available, as well as load data.

Better off?
Not as far as ballistics go. In fact, you'll probably be worse off, simply because the case is longer, and you'll be even less restricted to shorter lighter bullets.

You may be better off in that you won't have to change the bolt face, but since the shoulder is farther forward than a .308 case...you're going to have to modify all your mags as well. (you'll have to remove the mag ribs)

The only positive you have with choosing the .284Win is that you don't have to change the bolt face...but that's a moot point as you're not the one doing the changing anyway.

In the semi-auto AR10 style platform, the SAUM is unmatched. I would venture to say that it's even going to outperform the WSM due strictly to mag restrictions and bullet choice.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bass16 View Post
Better off?
Not as far as ballistics go. In fact, you'll probably be worse off, simply because the case is longer, and you'll be even less restricted to shorter lighter bullets.

You may be better off in that you won't have to change the bolt face, but since the shoulder is farther forward than a .308 case...you're going to have to modify all your mags as well. (you'll have to remove the mag ribs)

The only positive you have with choosing the .284Win is that you don't have to change the bolt face...but that's a moot point as you're not the one doing the changing anyway.

In the semi-auto AR10 style platform, the SAUM is unmatched. I would venture to say that it's even going to outperform the WSM due strictly to mag restrictions and bullet choice.
Man... The rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper don't it. I'm starting to think I may be better off to shelve this idea and see how the market goes. Hell, the way the AR market is going we may have ultra mag ARs in no time. I think I'll just enjoy my .25 WSSM for now. It'll do anything I am likely to need done anyway. After deer season I need to do some load development for it anyway. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

There are ar's in calibers over 308's now

I bet none of you have a .234 (6mm rem necked to .234)
Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousmudbogger View Post
There are ar's in calibers over 308's now
Omen // Match .300 Win Mag AR | NEMO Arms

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Thank you, for bringing this to my attention! That is awesome! I wouldn't want it in 300 win mag, but they're just scratching the surface of the capabilities of that platform. I understand. They have to cater to the military first. Not that the 300 couldn't do what I want. It could, and do it well. I have, however, swore off belted cases for ever. To me a belt on a case is like a vestigial tail on a human. It just isn't needed anymore. We've evolved past needing it. (If anyone out there has a vestigial tail, I meant no offense. They do call them "vestigial" though.)

Again. Thank you. This illustrates the exact reason I am on this forum.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

I'm still not quite sold on the OMEN, not for the price point they're looking for.
It's not exactly outlandish, but for the price of the OMEN and it's ballistics, compared to the price of my 300 SAUM and it's ballistics...I don't see the draw.

RND Rifles
have a FINE LIST of semi-autos as well, but again...a bit out of my budget.
The difference between both the RND and NEMO line, is that they are built on proprietary platforms...for obvious reasons.

You're right to assume that the market is going to continue to improve, but the caliber restrictions of the AR10 style and the AR15 are going to always come down to the size of the platform and the cartridge your trying to stick into it.

You're not likely to see anything bigger than the SAUM/WSM in the AR10...specifically because of the .532 bolt face. Anything bigger than that and you're not going to have the strength in the bolt lugs.
You're also not going to see any longer cases being used because of mag length restrictions.

The same for the AR15. The WSSM case is easily the limit here, because it required a completely proprietary bolt...not just an opened up bolt face.
The same with the case length.
Oly got around the case length restriction with the 22-250, but making proprietary parts and mags to make it work.

When you get to those levels of modification, you lose the ability to do it at a reasonable cost...which only accentuates the attraction of more standard calibers.