Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

AR 10 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Bronze Member

AR 10 Build

Hey guys and gals of course. I've decided to build an AR-10 but i'm really in uncharted waters here. What do guys recommend as far as a good kit, or should i parts from different places. I wanna keep this simple and inexpensive for my first build. Your thoughts?????
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: AR 10 Build

First good luck getting a lower. Get that first for the serial#. That is what will count if the ban goes through. After that I would check out palmmeadow state armory, and just slowly build with parts. Wont save a ton of money but you will get what you want.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks man,this whole ban thing has got me worried its the beginning of something bad if you ask me.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

I think so to. Ive got six 15 lowers that should be in in two weeks. Also had to buy five 30 round mags metal milspec but they will have to work. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Gold Member

JD Machine is the only lowers I've found at a reasonable price $389.00 shipping in Feb, that is stripped. Should've bought some CMMG ones before Christmas $385.00 complete, good luck on the sear and build.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 PM

Well what are you planning on using this on/for? How much do you want to spend? The AR-10 is not as "standard" as the ar-15 as far as parts interchangeability. Alot of manufactures parts are proprietary. Now i would suggest that you look into the DPMS rifles/kits. Keep in mind that if you are thinking you will save money and by parts and assemble them yourself let me assure you it will not save you money. They offer there rifles for just as good as you can build it for plus you have to obtain the tools to build one(ie barrel wrench,torque wrench,action vise). DPMS is the best bang for your buck so to speak and i would start with one of there LR260 or 6.5 creed. Parts availability (not now but) is usually good and price is great. All the ar-10 i have built have been of the DPMS style and all have been great shooters with proper assembly and good load development.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the great info. The whole price thing isn't what i'm after here,for me its just the satifaction of knowing that i assembled this gun....Maybe im weird but i enjoy doing things the hard way. The AR craze is definatly making it difficult to find parts kits...etc. I am a FFL and even my suppliers get a good laugh when i ask about availibility. Great info and keep it coming.