Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

AR-10 bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member

AR-10 bolt

Regular or low mass JP bolt ? which one do the guys on this forum run in your AR's will be using a JP adjustable gas block 22" to 24" medium contour barrel with muzzle brake 260 or 7-08 cal. Gun will be used for target and long distance hunting 500 to 800 yards.Any info would be a big help, getting ready to buy the bolt carrier.build is on a MEGA MATEN 308 receiver set Thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 PM

Re: AR-10 bolt

Post is a bit old so not sure if you got your answer already but I have an LR-308 and use the factory BCG from DPMS. I do run the lightened JP BCGs in my AR15s and I do have one that likes to double and triple with the JP BCG but the others work fine. I have not spent alot of time with the issue but when I slap the DPMS M16 BCG back in the double and triple issue goes away so I assume the lightened JP BCG is outrunning the hammer hook on the CMC trigger.

By the way, my DPMS was a 24 inch heavy barrel. It is now an 18 inch with a medium profile (still has the rifle length gas) and is shoots 1/2 MOA all day long. I am not using an adjustable gas block, I dont see the need on the 308 cause all my loads are moving and the 38lb DPMS BCG absorbs whatever recoil the SJC comp does not diffuse.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: AR-10 bolt

Thanks fr the info, i picked up a nickel boron coated match grade bolt for the build and i am using a adjustable gas block to reduce carbon build up in the bolt carrier receiver hosing and also to be able to dial the gun in for different loads that i will be using in the gun.