Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Anyone have any experence with a 450 Bushmaster or 30 RemAR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Bronze Member

Anyone have any experence with a 450 Bushmaster or 30 RemAR?

I want a new hog gun that will reload faster than a bolt action. I definately don't want 223! It normally takes more than one hit with 223 to bring them down on the run.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone have any experence with a 450 Bushmaster or 30 RemAR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy Franks View Post
I want a new hog gun that will reload faster than a bolt action. I definately don't want 223! It normally takes more than one hit with 223 to bring them down on the run.
I have a 450 bushmaster upper on my AR and it is awesome.

I bought it for hogs an to go with my Tac 15 crossbow.

A 250 grain bullet at 2200 ft/sec with 2686 ft.lbs of energy is no slouch.

It will role them. The downside is recoil. I replaced the factory break with
a large ported break to tame the beast and take it easy on the AR 15 lower.

I also have a green aluminator on it so shooting a night is not a problem.

Accuracy is below 1 MOA and 250 to 300 yards is reasonable.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

JE, does it buck enough to loose sight picture between rounds? What do you compare the recoil to now with the improved brake?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
JE, does it buck enough to loose sight picture between rounds? What do you compare the recoil to now with the improved brake?
I would loose the sight picture because of the muzzle rise would be 10 to 15 degrees.

I put a Ross Schuler ported brake with 3 vents on the top and muzzle climb is almost zero
and recoil is about that of a 30/06. (Brakes don't work as well on big bores because they are
about 30 % effective compared to high velocity cartriges that can be reduced by almost 50%.

One reason the rifle bucks up is the shape and location of the butt stock in relation to the
bore. (The AR was not intended to fire anything but the 223 so the design does not take
recoil in to account.

In order to get an AR that doesn't buck you are going to have to go way down on power
and pigs need lots of it. I tried the 223 and It would not bring them down instantly unless
you made a head shot (And after the first shot there all running.

I had considered a 708 or 308 but that requires an AR 10 and I wanted to use my AR 15 lower.

As I said though, it is a blast to shoot and sure death to pigs and also does a great job on deer.

And another + if you can't find brass for any reason the 284 Winchester brass is spot on if you
trim to length.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 12-11-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 AM

just buy a 308 ar. there are gobs of companies making them now and you can even find good deals on them used.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Bronze Member

I shoot a M-40 now and the best combination I've found for hogs is a 125 Nosler BT running 2900 fps. I've tried everyones bullets at every speed and in my rifle this is the most destructive combination I've found. I've shot this round in an AR-25 without a brake and the muzzle rise is just too great for a quick repeat shot although it is less than using heavier wt bullets.. I can almost shoot my M-40 as fast as the AR-25 because of getting back on target faster. 99% of my hog kills are from the pickup window at moving targets and sometimes with the pickup moving also and muzzle rise/recoil is paramount to getting a second shot. All my friends say not to use a brake because of the noise but it dawned on me the other day that my bloodest rifle for hogs is a SKS with a brake and I love it but now I notice that I have a choice of either having the end sight or the target in focus but not both.

I guess it boils down to I want to shoot my 308 load in a SKS and still retain the same recoil and sight recovery as with the 7.62 x 39. Yeah and I want it to rain 2 in. every other week too!!!

JE, am I wanting something that can not be attained?? What are your or anyone else's thoughts?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I shoot a M-40 now and the best combination I've found for hogs is a 125 Nosler BT running 2900 fps. I've tried everyones bullets at every speed and in my rifle this is the most destructive combination I've found. I've shot this round in an AR-25 without a brake and the muzzle rise is just too great for a quick repeat shot although it is less than using heavier wt bullets.. I can almost shoot my M-40 as fast as the AR-25 because of getting back on target faster. 99% of my hog kills are from the pickup window at moving targets and sometimes with the pickup moving also and muzzle rise/recoil is paramount to getting a second shot. All my friends say not to use a brake because of the noise but it dawned on me the other day that my bloodest rifle for hogs is a SKS with a brake and I love it but now I notice that I have a choice of either having the end sight or the target in focus but not both.

I guess it boils down to I want to shoot my 308 load in a SKS and still retain the same recoil and sight recovery as with the 7.62 x 39. Yeah and I want it to rain 2 in. every other week too!!!

JE, am I wanting something that can not be attained?? What are your or anyone else's thoughts?
There are several things that you will deal with In an AR platform that are undesirable for
the more powerful cartriges, weight and design work against you and just adding a heavy barrel
will not cure muzzle climb Only reduce it a little. Your M40 has a better design for the reduction
of recoil and muzzle climb but it cant be as fast as a semi auto for follow up shots.

For your type of hunting if you wan't less recoil and muzzle climb in a semi auto then a heavy
barrel and something like a 260 rem with 100 to 120 gr bullets will still get the job done with
less recoil and muzzle climb.

I chose the 450 Bushmaster for its knock down power because where I hunt is very thick brush
and follow up shots are not the norm but if they present themselves it will do its job to 200 yards,
and tracking is a big issue that should be avoided if possible. And once you have been involved
in a wounded hog attack a heavy bullet is a great comfort and will save the day.

My favorite rifle for running shots is a heavy 22"barreled 7/08 on a Mod. 7 Rem. but with a scope
it does have its limitations after dark. so I installed a green laser on my 450 and it illuminates
well enough to use the 2.5x7 scope if he is stationary and can be used as a targeting device if
the hog is running at night.

So its ether a muzzle break or a smaller caliber "Or" a pair of the Walkers Game Ears for the
muzzle break

J E CUSTOM