Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Any recipes for bushmaster accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 PM

Re: Any recipes for bushmaster accuracy?

It isn't the same gun, but my old bushy hated light bullets. Mine preferred near max loads of H335 and A2230, 55gr Sierra Blitzkings, and Federal primers. That is about all I can give to you that might help.

I will say it was a sub-MOA rifle with any bullet 55gr and up and that was with the trigger it came with. I won quite a few matches and bets with he scope off it.

Here is my brother and I on it years ago blasting pigeons out to 500yds. (most of our hits were under 400 though):

Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Thanx again guys. That was the info I was looking for. Hope you all continue to enjoy your AR's as much as I do.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Bronze Member

Trigger work tends to help alot with the AR platform as well as a Free Float foreend. Then its a matter of finding what she likes to shoot or handloading til you find the sweet spot. Are you shooting 55gr FMJ? Whats the twist on your barrel?

Jimbo
Old 02-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Bronze Member

69gr SMKs seem to really rock in the AR platform out to 650yds.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
I've used a lapping tool for upper receivers that I bought from Brownells. The lapping tool was easy to use - I've lapped two receivers so far. I got my coyote rifle (chrome lined 16" HBAR) to shoot 1.2" 5-shot groups with handloads and factory ammo (Hornady TAP). I don't have accuracy results for the second rifle yet (6.5 Grendel).
AR-15/M16 UPPER RECEIVER LAPPING TOOL | Brownells

This lapping tool was highly recommended by an AR-15 gunsmith friend who swears he can get most AR-15s to shoot 1" or better groups. This is one of the tricks he regularly uses. He said he gets similar accuracy with both SS and chrome lined barrels, BTW, rarely does he have to replace a barrel to get an AR-15 to shoot well.
Bruce,

How much lapping effort was required to square up your two receivers?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Bronze Member

Contrary to some horror stories we see it wasnt bad. I have a bolt lapping tool and ran it a few times on light passes for good measure and didnt have much of a problem. Brownells has the tool for 30$. and some mild filing on the forward take down pin opening where it index's with the lower receiver. GTG. Played with it for about an hour really but have not had any issues with it at all.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

I believe a 1:8 twist. I just bought a box of Hornady 68gr. customs since I haven't had the time to get set up for loading these yet. Now just need a little range time.