Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Any recipes for bushmaster accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Any recipes for bushmaster accuracy?

I am looking to get a little more accuracy out of my Bushmaster and was wondering if any of you have one that you were successful in achieving under 1" with? I have the ORC model. As the title says I am looking for any recipes that you have had luck with.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: Any recipes for bushmaster accuracy?

Guns don't work like that most of the time . There is no guarantee that another gun will shoot the same with the same load.
So you have to find the best load for your gun in your hands .
The only thing that is fairly universal is terminal ballistics , bullet performance on the target . Suitable bullets for a certain job are comparable used in the same cartridge at similar terminal velocities .
It's not a recipe it's load data .
You will get the best load for your gun and components tuning it yourself by just starting with the recommend loads in the powder manual .
Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

Another avenue you may consider to obtain better accuracy is your trigger. Most of the off the shelf carbines have horrible trigger pull to say the least. Installing a match grade trigger with lighter pull weight can often help tighten your groups up.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I've used a lapping tool for upper receivers that I bought from Brownells. The lapping tool was easy to use - I've lapped two receivers so far. I got my coyote rifle (chrome lined 16" HBAR) to shoot 1.2" 5-shot groups with handloads and factory ammo (Hornady TAP). I don't have accuracy results for the second rifle yet (6.5 Grendel).
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod20220.aspx

This lapping tool was highly recommended by an AR-15 gunsmith friend who swears he can get most AR-15s to shoot 1" or better groups. This is one of the tricks he regularly uses. He said he gets similar accuracy with both SS and chrome lined barrels, BTW, rarely does he have to replace a barrel to get an AR-15 to shoot well.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 01-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

Thanx for the replies guys. I do realize all guns shoot diff. I was just wondering if anyone had load data that worked for them: bullets, powders, etc. I have loaded numerous rifles, just not an AR yet. Thanx for advice on lapping tool also, that is very interesting. Sounds like 60-70gr bullets will work best in my 1:8 barrel? To me getting advice from all of you on here is more helpful than any book.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

I have the full size Bushmaster and I put a Chip Mccormick drop in trigger in and a JP Enterprises Inc. rear tensioning take down pin and shoot Varget and 69 gr Sierra Match Kings and I get well under 1" groups from the bench at 100 yards with open sights.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Thanx rt2506. I was planning to replace the 10lb factory trigger also. Looks like you've had luck with the heavier bullets also.