Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

Advice for buying an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:45 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Advice for buying an AR

I don't believe I said a 1 in 9 was limited to 62g being the heaviest, did I? I did imply that that was the heaviest "surplus" (M855) that it will stabilize. That, currently, $1 a round "surplus" is what's fired through most ARs. I wouldn't buy a 1 in 8 expecting it to be at its best with 55g FMJ, but with the thought of 69g or 77g SMKs.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

You can't really "over" stabilize a bullet. That being said, I'd find at least a 1 in 8 twist. It will stabilize as much bullet as you'll ever need for a yote at 300yds. I'd strongly recommend getting an armorers guide and just building your own from parts (at lease the lower, monkeys can put a lower togather) it'll save you a bunch of money that can be put toward good glass. I'd also stick with a 16in barrel if your shots will be under 300, they handle much better than the longer tubes, and are lighter. If your only going to have one AR, I'd stick with 223/556. As for glass (as said above) something with a 2x or 3x low end is pretty nice. The Nikon M223 or Leupy Mark AR are good ones for the money and both have turrets that are matched for a 55gr bullet (Just figure up a drop chart if you deside to run heavier bullets) Just don't be stingy with your glass or your trigger. My favorite yote rig is a RRA upper in 223wylde, 16in HBAR barrel, Spikes lower with a JP Enterprises Competition trigger, houge grip, Magpul CTS stock, and a Leupy3x9 Mark AR. I wouldn't nessisarily trust my life to it, but it's easily a sub MOA rig, and has taken a ton of yotes and gophers and never had an function issue. It might not honk your hooter, but it's been outstanding for me.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones View Post
You can't really "over" stabilize a bullet. That being said, a 1 in 8 is pretty common, and will stabilize as much bullet as you'll ever need for a yote at 300yds. I've taken most of the yotes I've ever shot with a 55gr and it's pretty rare to need a follow up. I'd strongly recommend getting an armorers guide and just building your own from parts (at lease the lower, monkeys can put a lower togather) it'll save you a bunch of money that can be put toward good glass. I'd also stick with a 16in barrel if your shots will be under 300, they handle much better than the longer tubes, and are lighter.
You can "over stabilize" with too high of a RPM (too much twist for the bullet). Too much RPM for a given bullet (like one of varmint construction) and it's liable to 'self destruct' shortly after leaving the barrel. Too much centrifical force. I forget most AR guys have a different concept of "acceptable accuracy" than LR bolt rifle shooters do. You are correct, a trained monkey could assemble an AR,,,, so why is putting one together "a build"?