Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

6x45 barrel options.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6x45 barrel options.

I built one of those this fall and they are a pretty nice shooting round. For OAL issues in the mag I stuck with the Sierra 80gr hp game king. I bought the reamer and used a heavy varmint bbl to turn down and chamber for the ar. A friend shot a large 9 pointer this season with it and after 20 yes it went down for the count.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

A question to you 6x45 peeps, I was gunna do one of these but after doing a mock up with a 70 nolser BT in a case and getting it to fit in a 2.260 AOL the ogive of the bullet was in the case neck. Is there something im missing as to way ya would do one?? Are you shooting way lighter bullets? I didnt try long bearing surface short nose bullets like hornady Vmax's but was discouraged with my finding and ended up with the conclusion a 6-6.8 made more sence but finally ended up with a 6WOA in the works as I speak.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 AM

I have a Sako Vixen bolt action which the previous owner rebarrelled in 6x45. I don't know the brand of barrel, but man does it shoot! Every thing I've tried is under an inch, it just loves 80gb Rem corelokt, which I get to 2940fps, and they have dealt with many wild goats and 2 Red deer so far with auhority. All animals have been penetrated right through, with a good sized exit hole. Ammo is easy - I just run 223 brass through the dies, and don't bother with case forming - straight to work in the field. I love this calibre, and the sweet handling and light to carry Sako Vixen.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
A question to you 6x45 peeps, I was gunna do one of these but after doing a mock up with a 70 nolser BT in a case and getting it to fit in a 2.260 AOL the ogive of the bullet was in the case neck. Is there something im missing as to way ya would do one?? Are you shooting way lighter bullets? I didnt try long bearing surface short nose bullets like hornady Vmax's but was discouraged with my finding and ended up with the conclusion a 6-6.8 made more sence but finally ended up with a 6WOA in the works as I speak.
Not all bllets are gonna' work in the AR15 platform. The best choice is in a bolt gun where you're not limited by mag length and the chamber can be throated to your liking.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 AM

Hello ! I'm new here. I built a 6TCU useing a 20 in. BHW tube. It's SWEET ! I did go to Thermould mags. for a little more OAL. They feed well. Still working on loads , but, sofar every thing shoots well. HAPPY SHOOTING !