Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

6.8 SPC accuracy question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6.8 SPC accuracy question

Muzzle vel. On factory loads is 2828 fps. Hand loads book indicates 2900 Barrel is older model 16" stag 1 in 10 twist standard Contour.
We are talking 1.5" deviation at 100 yds.

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

The best gun to have? ... The one in your hand when the fight starts!

Respect All - Fear None
Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

I am using C products mags. I would like to acquire some PRI mags but at the moment it appears I would have more luck finding a unicorn or jackelope. Why would the mag be a factor other than seating depth and that would not play into factory ammo.

I talked to a local AR builder and he suggested a heavier buffer to smooth out the cycle.

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

The best gun to have? ... The one in your hand when the fight starts!

Respect All - Fear None
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Lyons7STW;783794] Why would the mag be a factor other than seating depth and that would not play into factory ammo.

I know it sounds strange, but Magazines do effect the accuracy of simi-auto pistols and rifles.

On all of my pistols and rifles I number each magazine and test it in the weapon for accuracy and
consistency. (Some mags scatter brass everywhere, and some will place the brass in a small circle.
This tells me that I have a good load and the mag is adjusted properly).

During mag testing, I will make note of the best performer and It will become the mag I use for
accuracy. Sometimes you can Adjust/Tune some of the other mags to do better but not always.

The fit of the mag, spring tension,the opening in the mag lips, freedom of the follower in the mag,
all make slight differences in the way the mag functions.

Try testing your mags with 5 shot groups each and see if there is a difference between them, you
may be surprised.

Problems finding accuracy issues are part of the game. sometimes it can be a simple fix and other
times you may never figure it out.

Leave no stone unturned and "Press On"

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

Thanks JE for your insights. While I am fortunate not to have the same issues as the OP with the same setup, I did learn some interesting points to look for if things to go awry.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons7STW View Post
I am using C products mags. I would like to acquire some PRI mags but at the moment it appears I would have more luck finding a unicorn or jackelope. Why would the mag be a factor other than seating depth and that would not play into factory ammo.

I talked to a local AR builder and he suggested a heavier buffer to smooth out the cycle.

I have first and third gen PRI mags. Love the first gen as they have a smaller feed lip, but the third gens are good too. If you can find the first gen and just pay the price for them. I have only had 2 or 3 FTF on the third gen's in my ARP.

Try Chris. Last I herd he has some coming.
Home