Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > AR15/10 Rifles

the 5.56 vs 308 debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned

Re: the 5.56 vs 308 debate

I hear a great deal about this shtf stuff, best firearm, how much of this and we need more of that.......
Reality check people have survived for hundreds of years and will go on past our lives....
Its a good idea to have some items stored, for when there are needed food and water and etc.
I have served in Army for five years, 22 years as a law enforcement officer. I have to go
with jpd676 in this area........Some people have a dream world too many hours playing games
on their TV and less time in reality......just .......... .02
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

I don't mean to stir the pot even more. But if you really want to be prepared for some sort of SHTF, you'd have rifles in the same caliber as your would-be attackers, most likely 5.56 or 7.62, I would think (ideally, rifles that you can shoot better than what the bad guys). If you're thinking ahead of them, they'll leave plenty of ammo around for you to use after they've been dispatched. In a suvival situation where you're hunting for sustinance, caliber means nothing, toss ethical hunting calibers out the window. A 22lr will feed the family about as well as anything else (depending on how well you use it). There's a reason that Eskimos traditionally use a 22lr for pretty much everything, polar bears included, and those are some folks who are really good at surviving. Plus you can easily pack as many rounds as you feel like taking. Like the above comments, just my $.02, but thinking ahead is gonna be worth more than picking a caliber.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

We still live in the USA so get one of each why settle for just one? I love the 5.56 I use and carry it often. Had a 308 Win but sold it for school, now looking at a 243 Win to replace it. We are free to choose what we want, so use that freedom.

PS

jpd676 & BlackSS well said!!

Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.
Know the line has held, your job is done.
Rest easy, sleep well.
Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.
Peace, peace, and farewell... --Unknown--

Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 PM

What do you mean Zombies aren't real?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Monson View Post
They won't be the lurching mindless zombies from the movies. They'll just be your fellow humans who have decided that survival means "everyone for themselves" with the moral, ethical, and legal rules abandoned or used only for their own or immediate group's benefit. You'll only be able to tell them by their actions which will be flexible to fit their immediate needs. There is no creature as dangerous or less predictable than a human who has chosen to abandon civilization's rules.

You see some of them now. Who they are depends as much on you as them. Time and circumstances will sort that out. No doubt those who have prepared for a major and long lasting disaster will seem like zombies to those who haven't.

They have plenty. They should share with us. It's our right.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Monson View Post
well, after that dude at the other guys face in Miami, I'm not so sure any more
Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 AM

I am a Veteran, I come from a family of veteran's and LEO's and some of them are both. We all know that there are people who follow orders and do not think for themselves and when not if the government turns on its people they will have plenty of "sheep" kicking down doors and confiscating weapons. Just last week I saw a video of a Chicago Police officer telling a "news team" that their first amendment rights can be "Terminated". they were filming outside across the street from a Hospital. I also believe the "zombies" will be a lawless group or band roving out from cities to take what they want and wont care about the consequences because there wont be any.
As was said the government can take my guns "bullet first", but I think that the officers who will stand against an unlawful governmental order are less than what we believe. The national guard is full of those people and I believe, but pray not, that a civil war is in the brewing and it will be between the government and the people!! I have both calibers and am proficient with both, it will depend upon the situation that determines which is better.

Semper Fi!