Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Crossbow Hunting (Not PSE)

What to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Bronze Member

What to buy

After 30 years of archery, I'm being forced to hunt with a crossbow this year if I'm to bowhunt. Shoulder surgery has taken its toll. I'm a serious bowhunter from Iowa and stand sit up to 40+ am/pm sits a year, With price not a deal breaker what would you buy and why. I'm leaning towards a recurve not compound. That's only because I've read they are more dependable after a couple hundred shots. Thanks in advance,jeff~
Old 03-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What to buy

My take is dependability is in the string in as much as the mechanicals of all compounds are pretty well thought out and designed and restringing a compound isn't all that expensive or time consuming.

I bought an x bow to increase my season, nothing more and I wanted a proven design so I bought a 10 point compound with the buit into the stock cocking device. My only issue is decocking, you hyave to either use a bolt or a dummy bolt.

It's very accurate and quick (960 fps), able to stack bolts on top of each other if fired at the same bullseye and it's made in Ohio (USA), always a big plus for me.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Bronze Member

960 fps?? I will assume that is catastrophic typo and they are not bolts. The one thing I will agree with is that you can't go wrong with a Ten Point! I have the Vapor which is rated at 360fps. One major diff between the faster recurve live the Excaliber Matrix and a high end compound like the TP is sound. The recurve is much louder and wider.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

My arthritic fingers meant 3 instead of 9....lol
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

I also probably should have said that Ten Point is in the same industrial park as the infamous 'Eden Pure' is. The heater that claims 'whole house' comfort on 1500 watts...... just say'in.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctta View Post
960 fps?? I will assume that is catastrophic typo and they are not bolts. The one thing I will agree with is that you can't go wrong with a Ten Point! I have the Vapor which is rated at 360fps. One major diff between the faster recurve live the Excaliber Matrix and a high end compound like the TP is sound. The recurve is much louder and wider.
What he said about the Excalibur. Mine is deadly accurate. Guy at the archery shop said not to shoot at the same target. Wished that I would have listened.. They(Excalibur) are loud though. There are different things you can do to silence them. One string to go wrong versus string and cables with a compound. Murphys law applies to me always. I'll stay with my Excalibur, but there is nothing wrong wiith the others either. Good Luck on your choice...
Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

I was forced by shoulder problems to switch to a x bow for a few years. After a long search I ended with the Horton vision reverse limb. Hands down reverse limb is the way to go. That being said Horton is gone. tenpoint now owns they machines and rights to offer the reverse limb x bow. Word is they will have it out this fall. I just sold mine because Horton is gone. I did have well over 1000 shots out of it no problem. If you can't wait till fall to see if it happens. Either check out the barrnet reverse limb. Or the scraped you can google search them they don't look the best, but are they perform awesome.