Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Crossbow Hunting (Not PSE)

Should we relax crossbow hunting regs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Should we relax crossbow hunting regs?

Len

Bet that hurt, left a mark, and somehow he got in trouble for it.

BH
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear that JE. Sounds like you were pretty lucky to have only come away with a shoulder injury.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
BB's 340 fps bow and little time to practice is classic justification for crossbow IMO for many archers. Almost any bow that is 80% letoff and 340 fps, probably has extremely low brace height (under 7" and as low as 5.5"), which makes it super critical on release, highly subject to torque and is shooting superlight arrow with light head and low FOC and an archer with a long draw in order to get that speed. In perfect world, with perfect release and perfect side vitals shot, it will kill easily but it is not a forgiving setup without a high level of proficiancy, which BB has from what he has posted. If you have all those, then no issues, but that is hard for most bowhunters to maintain that level of proficiancy and to take only those type shots.
Not meaning to quibble over technical details when I agree with the overall content.

I would just mention that PSE asked bowhunters what they wanted in a bow and they said they wanted forgiveness so PSE built a 348 FPS bow with a 8.5 inch brace height and 80% letoff. Apparently, I was the only person who thought that it was a great bow and actually bought one. PSE discontinued it the next year due to poor sales.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Don't mean to sound dumb but, what is FOC?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

FOC is why some bullets tumble on impact and some don't. It is also why a bullet is not like a drill bit.

FOC means "front of center". It means that center of mass is in front of the the geometric center. Typically an arrow should balance about 8-13% in front of the midpoint on the shaft. This is usually accomplished by selecting a broad head or point of the correct weight.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

BB, so when it was mentioned earlier "low FOC" would that mean the arrow would balance something less than the 8-13% in front of the midpoint on the shaft that you mentioned? Don't mind me I know zip about archery other than letting go of the string and watching the arrow fly a few times but the more I read this post the more I see this archery stuff's pretty scientific and is peaking my interest.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

Absolutely. Telling other hunters how to take game is purely a "Liberal" concept and at odds with my way of thinking.