close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Crossbow Hunting (Not PSE)

Need help with a new Crossbow purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Bronze Member

Need help with a new Crossbow purchase

I am looking at 2 crossbows. Barnett Buck Commander and Bowtech Strykezone 380. I need some advice on which is the best choice? Prices are basically the same.

Thank You

Old 09-03-2014, 04:24 AM

Re: Need help with a new Crossbow purchase

Use this link to make a comparison-

Excalibur 2014 Commercial - Crossbow Cross Examination

This may help you decide between different compound crossbows.

I personally have 2 Excalibur crossbows. I've had to change the strings each year and I can't shoot more than one arrow at a spot on my targets. I've split 3 arrows over the years.

Try an Excalibur before you decide. good luck
Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 PM

checkout Kodabow
I have one and love it
Old 05-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmabrey View Post
Use this link to make a comparison-

Excalibur 2014 Commercial - Crossbow Cross Examination

This may help you decide between different compound crossbows.

I personally have 2 Excalibur crossbows. I've had to change the strings each year and I can't shoot more than one arrow at a spot on my targets. I've split 3 arrows over the years.

Try an Excalibur before you decide. good luck
What jbmabrey said. Look real hard at an Excalibur. They even have a micro out now that makes shooting out of a tree stand easier. They are super accurate and you definitely don't shoot at the same spot every time unless you want to ruin an bolt. I really like mine.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

I spent months reading and watching videos on utube about cross bows and read all of the reviews people have posted and now my excalibur will be here on friday. Most of what I read is that a compound crossbow is alot more maintenance, more string and cable failures and some cam failures, If you have a failure you are done hunting until you take it to a bow shop for repair with the recurve crossbow a string can be changed in the stand and keep hunting. The excalibur is warr for life to the original purchaser, The excalibur can be uncocked without firing a arrow into a target. check out this video
Crossbow Cross Examination: Durability Test
Old 05-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

Out of those 2 bows you mentioned it's the bow tech for sure. I don't trust barnett bows yet. Some people say they are great and a lot say different.

I have a Excalibur 405 matrix and a Scorpyd slp 165 and I love both. I only wish my slp was like the newer models in that they are smaller and lighter. Mine may go by by soon to fund a new Orion 160.

There are a lot of good bows out there and Excalibur is one as is scorpyd. But you are going to pay way more than the 2 bows you mentioned. So take that into consideration before you get too excited about a bow.

Go over to archerytalkforums and go into the crossbow section and read for a month or two. I have to say that most are biased towards the bow they own. Present company included!

But do research and you really need to shoot a bow for yourself before you buy, especially if it's your first. Excalibur is a fantastic bow but it is very loud. Almost firecracker loud but you do get used to it. Compounds are way easier to draw back and much quieter and this is fact. Excaliber has the ruggedness and is so easy to do what ever you need to do to the bow. Change a string especially in the field is a 1 minute procedure. Even though scorpyd is a compound bow to change their string is also pretty darn easy too.

But please go shoot the bows if you can.

Good luck and enjoy

Brian
Old 05-31-2015, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Recieved my excalibur on friday and put it together right away could'nt wait to try it, it came with the 4 dot red and green sight it took three arrows to sight it in and was slapping arrows against each other at 20 yds I am supprised with the accuracy of this thing but as others said it is a little loud but I dont have another brand to compare it to and the only thing I am going to change is the sight I am going to upgrade I think to the Nikon bolt XR but I have heard the scopes from excalibur work very good but for the price of some of them I can get the nikon.