Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Crossbow Hunting (Not PSE)

Crossbows - Good or Evil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: Crossbows - Good or Evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourway77 View Post
Here in Delaware and Maryland they have legalized the CB for everyone the whole season.
Hey Lou, I came up to Maryland in 2000 and hunted at Lums Pond in Delaware for a few spare days...I shot a huge buck there with my compound bow,,,The string hit my coat sleeve and pulled my shot,,,I hit it straight in the brisket and the broadhead lodged in the left shoulder. I tracked it across the little remote controlled air field and lost it on the other side,,,straight across from the air field...I looked all the next day...never found him, even tried a beagle that some guy from Maryland had,,,he claimed how good the dog was on a trail,,,BUT he had to PULL the dog to get it to walk,,it was not even leash trained,,LOL What a joke that was<<<, Any way I tell you this because I only saw 1 other person hunting the park the whole time I was there and man at the deer!!! Go try it if you never have,,,I found this buck across the corn field to the left of the air field....Some day I'm gonna go back,,especially since you told me that I can hunt with my Xbow!!!
Good Luck, Shawn aka, Sackett
Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM

I never bow hunted and I had my reasons for that. Heard all the stories of wounded deer and all. But never ran up against one. I started hunting with one when they changed the law here in Va.

I enjoy hunting and consider xbows to be just another weapon for doing so. Whether the bow is held vertical or horizontal, makes no difference. I am sure the diehard bow hunters of old got there butts up around their shoulders when compound bows arrived on the scene.

Here is my xbow:

Old 08-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

I think they are a step down for a skilled archer. This is not generally the public perception of them however. I have no problem with what anyone use, but think the best use are in built up areas where a rifle isn't safe, but game numbers need reduced. Generally it takes less time to become modestly competent with these as opposed to a bow, and locals can trim the numbers of deer eating their garden.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

Crossbows are good tools or instruments to use for hunting and recreation and give or take no ground from any other type of stick and string setup morally. Evil or good is in the mind of the user.