Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Crossbow Hunting (Not PSE)

Crossbows - Good or Evil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Crossbows were legalized for everyone last year in Alabama. Several novices with the crossbow lost an index finger on their non-trigger hand by sticking it up in the path of the string . Zipped it right off! Sounds like an urban legend but I saw it on the local news.

The same rheteric comes with the traditional vs. modern muzzle loader.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:01 AM
Silver Member

Crossbows

I hunted with a crossbow for 10 years and when I want to hunt from the ground I still do carry a crossbow. I don't think it is hard at all to hold one steady and shoot it offhand the limbs on the crossbow seem to help balance it out for me the bow is really not prone to rolling right to left. I do agree about the lock time the arrow is in contact with the bow riser that a good follow through is needed. The biggest complaint I have with them is they are so heavy and it feels like I am carrying a lawn chair through the woods.But on the other hand when I am using the xbow I am not packing my 20 lb climbing tree stand.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Gold Member

I agree with BH, anything that gets more hunters in the woods is a great thing! While I hunt with a compound and would not switch at this point, I wish Illinois would open cross bows up to everyone.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

IMO, it is bogus to let one group use them and another not! There are plenty of 65 year olds in better shape than 55 year olds.

If someone is TRULY handicapped, then make a special rule, but an age restriction seems stupid to me.

I bet that an average shooter, not someone that practices a lot , will be more accurate with a crossbow and will not cripple as much game as he will with a regular compound bow.
I have no problem with a crossbow, they are not legal here in NJ, but it is probably just a matter of time.
When they are legalized, I will own one without a doubt!

edge.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Bronze Member

crossbows

I have used both for years now and like both.Crossbows like my horton are well balanced and not that cumbersome.It uses the same principles as shooting off hand and you can hold it drawn for much longer than you can a compound,but the problem lies in a second shot.It is much harder to put your foot in the stirup and draw it in a tree. With a scope it takes very little practice it is like picking up most scoped weapons gently squeeze trigger till it goes off while looking at target watch it hit its mark.Just a few thoughts on the subject from a hunter who uses and likes both.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Just to make sure my point was understood. The argument of all the bowhunting clubs for years has been that the crossbow is just like shooting a rifle and the ultimate weapon because they did not want them used during archery seasons and felt it is unfair. I was trying to show that it has it's limitations also and I do not believe it is an unfair advantage and support use of the crossbow. I get to rambling and my point gets lost.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Crossbows

Lone ranger, It is going to be very hard to prove that crossbows do not have an advantage over compound bows. I have been hunting with crossbows for 15 years and Have taken deer with it every year. I also Own a new mathews compound and Regularly shoot all year and participate in several 3d archery shoots with it each year. I have also taken 4 deer with the compound. With respect to accuracy The compound bow is without a doubt the more accurate weapon when used by an experienced archer. I feel that where the the advantage really comes into play is when a person that is just getting into archery can pick up a crossbow at a archery shop and leave the store with the weapon sighted in and be ready to hunt the next day. This is an advantage over the hunter who uses a compound bow. I Think that the 65 year age limitation on crossbow users have several good points. I for one don't feel threatened as an archer by the introduction of crossbows because what really makes the difference in success or failure in the woods is not the arrow but the Indian.

Last edited by killahog; 04-29-2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: add photo