Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Crossbow Hunting (Not PSE)

Crossbow Shooters - What are you shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: Crossbow Shooters - What are you shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Keep on experimenting and keep us posted on the results.
I did some more testing and I embarrassed to say, I wish I had performed the later tests first.

Cutting to the chase, my TAC-15i when fired is measuring 99 decibels at 1 meter, outside. However, I need to find a place where I can safely test the TAC-15 inside to eliminate outside ambient noises. Or perhaps test the TAC-15i in the environment of issue, a quite forest at 1 meter, 32 meters, 64 meters.

For what it is worth I did eliminate the Hammer striking the hammer stop pin from the tests by using 14lb fishing line to pull on the catch that hammer normally would hit.

In future testing I would like to see where most of that 99 decibels is coming from. The limbs, the string, string hitting the stops, etc., and then see if there is way to reduce the noise.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

I shoot a Parker Magnum 150#. One of their originals with the Monte Carlo cheek piece thumb-hole Fajgen designed stock left-handed. Had the limbs replaced 2x as there was a laminate issue with them in the beginning, more of a outside layer cosmetic thing. Absolutely the best from a warranty issue 0 cost to me. And they sent the limbs to a local guy first them I took the bow in. Kind of freaky sitting in a stand and having the xbow in front of you hanging and seeing/hearing 'bink' as it popped. Still killed a doe that day.

326fps with carbon arrows and 100gr Grim Reapers. I'd like to get one of the slightly smaller lighter (7.5 vs 9) newer ones but I paid good money for that years ago.

Took a doe and a buck already this year with it in Md. Went to a x-bow due to 4 surgery's. Still outlawed in NY regardless of disabilities! Cannot bow hunt in NY w/one.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Bronze Member

Just bought a Parker Cyclone, shoots exellent ! tubed three arrows after sighting it in! I have to go and buy another dozen Red Hot arrows and stick to one arrow per target, this is more expensive to shoot then my rifle. Every time I tube an arrow it's 30 plus bucks! Shot it through the chrony 357fps. w/red hot arrow 100 gr. field tip. Havn't shot any distance yet or broadheads ,I have a torn ACL and need to go under the knife so I'll work on it later. One awesome Xbow glad I bought it. It's deadly at 20 yards ,if the deer isn't dead it was operator error period!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

Parker of course....What are you shooting?

Well went ahead and bought the Parker Cyclone last Friday night. Got home in enough time to shoot 4 arrows to zero and verify at 20 yards. Went to a place in Md. where I had never hunted in the morning in a stand put in last year. 8:03 am took a decent little 8 point 27 yrds. Watched him drop within 50 yards just like they say in Grim Reaper commercial.

These Parker X-bows are something else. I thought my old Parker Magnum was accurate and fast (and it is) but these new ones are just unbelievable. Can't beat that lifetime no questions asked guarantee either.

I didn't like the crosshairs in the new Red Hot scope though so I put my old Excalibur Vari-Zone scope on it. I can see the crosshairs easier at critical deer time with this scope. Unfortunately my Vari-Zone only has reference points to 50 yards, the Red Hot has them out 70 yard.

http://www.parkerbows.com/pb/2007/cr...detailsku=1102

Last edited by Freebore; 11-20-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Parker Tornado, Red Hot bolts, Trophy Ridge Meat Seeker broadheads. I've thumped a couple of does with it out to about 40 yards so far. Penetration is UNBELIEVABLE, goes thru deer and several inches into the ground. Noisier than conventional bows, but partially make up for that with blistering speed (have'nt had one come close to ducking the string yet).
Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 PM

I now use a PSE TAC 15i for ALL my hunting needs. 100g PHAT HEAD broad heads give me 100yrd groups as accurate as any (free hand) rifle shooting I have experienced. Regarding noise of the hammer strike...it is there but it doesn't deter my use of this quality built cross bow. You can find a fault in anything if that's what you're looking for.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot a Horton Vision 175.

It is a great bow, and quiet.
Under 20 inches wide and so well balanced it can almost be shot one handed....almost

edge.