Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Crossbow Hunting (Not PSE)

Crossbow Shooters - What are you shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 PM

Crossbow Shooters - What are you shooting?

Any crossbow shooters out there? What are you shooting?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

re: Crossbow Shooters - What are you shooting?

Just getting started with my first crossbow, a TAC 15i (integrated lower).
In retrospect, I might have been better off with a TAC 15; and getting a separate AR lower. Easier to work on, in that the TAC 15i has to be unbolted vs. the TAC 15 just breaking open and coming apart from the AR lower.

My two positive comments about the TAC 15 is the integrated shuttle cocking system with the looped release over a metal catch; and the fact the Xbow's string does not touch the rail, thus no rubbing, and less need of replacement.

My one negative comment about the TAC 15i (integrated lower) is the hammer hits an internal stop pin that makes a lot of noise (85** db @ 1 meter), by itself. The pin goes from the left side to the right side of the upper assembly, and the hammer hits the pin just above a notch in the lower part of the hammer. The whole thing looks like it is just begging for a rubber pad or spring to soften the hammer, thus quieting the metal to metal whack.

Maybe this is unique to the TAC 15i or mine is missing some cushioning pad. No way to know, until I can compare mine to someone else's TAC 15i. For that matter maybe all TAC 15s make a loud hammer noise by hitting a different stop?
I do know a normal AR hammer does not stop till it is nearly vertical. On the TAC 15i the hammer is stopped long before vertical, like 50-60? degrees from vertical.

Really, would be nice to have a parts diagram with cut-way/exploded views of the two models.

A heads-up: The latest TAC 15 has been changed from the earlier models. The cocking crank no longer is (or can be) stored as shown in PSE's current video. PSE decided not to include the crank hole-slot on the right side with the holding magnets.

** Remeasured using a Digital db meter with ability to store Maximum value (Analog meter was to slow and no capture).
** 80db ~= Garbage Disposal in sound level / Rustling of Leaves ~= 10db / Soft Whisper != 30db

Last edited by OkieBowie; 08-30-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Updated with more accurate reading via Digital db meter
Old 08-29-2010, 05:38 AM

I shoot a Strykeforce with a Excal luma scope over an HHA Optimizer. This xbow likes the Red Hot arrows and 125 gr field points.I use Nap Spitfires for hunting ,same POI as field tips.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

My two positive comments about the TAC 15 is the integrated shuttle cocking system with the looped release over a metal catch; and the fact the Xbow's string does not touch the rail, thus no rubbing, and less need of replacement.

My one negative comment about the TAC 15i (integrated lower) is the hammer hits an internal stop pin that makes a lot of noise (85** db @ 1 meter), by itself. The pin goes from the left side to the right side of the upper assembly, and the hammer hits the pin just above a notch in the lower part of the hammer. The whole thing looks like it is just begging for a rubber pad or spring to soften the hammer, thus quieting the metal to metal whack.

I have the Tac 15 with a Rock River lower and a match grade trigger that is sweet to shoot.

It is interesting that you mentioned the noise of the hammer fall because you can hear mine
but I don't think it is that loud .

BUT. It was loud enough that I tried an experiment to quieten it down and it worked for a
limited number of shots (10 to 15 on average).

I simply placed a strip of moleskin with a self adhesive on the back on the front of the
hammer and it did not change anything except the sound (Everything else works the same).

I practice with out the moleskin and when I get ready to go hunting I pull the back pin
and break the lower and upper open (Like an over and under) exposing the hammer and
stick the moleskin strip on the face of the hammer that strikes the release on the TAC 15.

It weighs almost nothing and as I said does not interfere with the operation of the cross
bow.

I have not tried anything else because this works very well.

I have not killed anything with it but that is fixing to change this weekend. (Going after hogs)

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I simply placed a strip of moleskin with a self adhesive on the back on the front of the hammer and it did not change anything except the sound (Everything else works the same).
I didn't try moleskin, but I did try covering the hammer stop pin with thick heat shrink and a nylon bushing, along with using a modified (carved) nylon screw as a in-line hammer stop. The heat shrink got sliced by the impact and the nylon bushing didn't seem to reduce the noise. The carved nylon screw did help, and resulted in a 6 db drop.

Since my TAC 15 has the integrated lower, I am wondering if the Hammer spring could be reduced in strength, the Hammer itself be lightened, and still hit the Loop latch with enough force to reliably release the string. With less Hammer weight and spring strength, the Hammer impacting the Hammer stop pin should be quieter. With some padding, the sound level might be reduced even more.

More experimenting needs to be done.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Crossbow Shooters - What are you shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieBowie View Post
I didn't try moleskin, but I did try covering the hammer stop pin with thick heat shrink and a nylon bushing, along with using a modified (carved) nylon screw as a in-line hammer stop. The heat shrink got sliced by the impact and the nylon bushing didn't seem to reduce the noise. The carved nylon screw did help, and resulted in a 6 db drop.

Since my TAC 15 has the integrated lower, I am wondering if the Hammer spring could be reduced in strength, the Hammer itself be lightened, and still hit the Loop latch with enough force to reliably release the string. With less Hammer weight and spring strength, the Hammer impacting the Hammer stop pin should be quieter. With some padding, the sound level might be reduced even more.

More experimenting needs to be done.

I have no way to measure the noise level ,but it did dull the metallic sound on mine.

The old bow hunter in me likes everything quite and even though the TAC 15 is very fast
and chances are nothing is going to have time to react to the sound , I still like things to
be as quite as possible.

The reason I used the mole skin tape is so I could change it out often or remove it to use
with my 450 bushmaster upper.

I don't know if my trigger(A Timney) is as loud or hits as hard as the built in model.

Some other material may be better and last longer but for now this fix is fine for me (until
you find something better).

I did not try doing anything to the hammer stop or the shuttle cock and the moleskin
tape is easy to remove or replace and as I said I don't use it for practice just under
hunting conditions.

Keep on experimenting and keep us posted on the results.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 09-07-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Crossbow Shooters - What are you shooting?

Exclaibur Exocet with Gold Tips and Wasp broadheads.