Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Crossbow Hunting (Not PSE)

Choosing a crossbow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Choosing a crossbow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nVSfv0Rlg

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Fitz, I had boiled it down to 2 options, an Excaliber for around $700, or a Barnett for around $400. It ended up being a choice of features that I needed at a cost I could justify.

Now though, after watching the video that Len put up, I think that I'm just going to have to suck it up and go with the PSE. That thing is phenomenal. I like everything about it and it answered all my questions, plus high speeds and long range with heavy arrows and apparently outstanding accuracy. At $1100 - $1200 though, it craps all over my budget. Even at that cost, I still think they will sell a boatload of them.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Fitz, I had boiled it down to 2 options, an Excaliber for around $700, or a Barnett for around $400. It ended up being a choice of features that I needed at a cost I could justify.

Now though, after watching the video that Len put up, I think that I'm just going to have to suck it up and go with the PSE. That thing is phenomenal. I like everything about it and it answered all my questions, plus high speeds and long range with heavy arrows and apparently outstanding accuracy. At $1100 - $1200 though, it craps all over my budget. Even at that cost, I still think they will sell a boatload of them.

Tom
That's the way I felt about buying my Destroyer... Bare bones, it was $899. Putting everything together, I'm up to about $1500
Old 03-16-2010, 02:21 AM
Bronze Member

What do you do with a compound style xbow if the string breaks or is damaged while hunting-you take it to town and they will get to it some time that week. With the Excalibur you just put your spare string on and continue hunting. But then I am an Excalibur fan. I am disabled and our state issue's xbow permits for archery season. During rifle season you can deer or bear hunt with a xbow with a rifle lic. Inelaborate is sometimes easier.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

tenwalker, without knowing anything about crossbows, I had settled on the simplicity of the recurve bow, and after doing some research and posting this thread, I hadn't changed my mind. The PSE Tac 10 (more compact than the Tac 15) is now what I would buy though, complexity and all, because of the performance and features, but the high price is a big stumbling block. I'm a rifle hunter by choice, and crossbow hunting is just something I want to try. The jury's still out on paying that much just to scratch an itch.

Good hunting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Bronze Member

I am just glad you chose to hunt with a crossbow. I have found that some (and I do not mean all) bow hunters do not like crossbow hunters, at least where I live. They kind of look down thier noses at me. I will usually let them go on and give there little talk on how crossbow hunting is nothing like hunting with a real bow. Then I tell them that I think it is real nice how, the state, lets disabled people like me have a permit to hunt with a crossbow. That usually takes the wind out of thier sails And by all means I do not mean all bow hunters-just a few. I hope you are enjoying your bow and good hunting.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 PM

im a hunter from southern ontario and our bowseason allows us to use a crossbow and almost every bow hunter i know uses a crossbow and more specificly a excalibur i have been using a excalibur with crimson talon broad heads and i shot a buck at 40 yards and and it didnt run 20 yards i would like to take it moose hunting but i find the 338 win mag does a nicer job lol. but seriously i would go for the excalibur anyday and im proud to say that excalibur crossbows are made about a hour away from were i live.