Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

what vanes to use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 03:50 PM

what vanes to use

yes i am shooting the tac arrows has anybody tried diffrent vanes then the stock ones i tried the areovanes and bought the jig to fletch them i think the vanes are hitting my cables not 100% sure just seeing if anyone else has tried other ones thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Bronze Member

Re: what vanes to use

infantrysold -

I've fletched 6 arrows with the aerovane II vanes and still have 6 with the original duravanes. Both are fletched at the 60x120 configuration.

So far I've not noticed that big of a difference. I do notice that the Aerovanes touch the rail when in the cocked position due to being just a little bit taller than the duravanes.

At 95 yards I was able to group about 9" with field points.

I have not tried any other vanes.

I think my xbow is a little out of tune as when shooting through paper I do not get a bullet hole as expected but a little tear out. I have done a little adjustment and gotten the tear smaller, but ran out of daylight before I could test long range yet.

BTW - I fletched all my arrows with the Aerovane Jig.

WildWillie

Note: Switching to Aerovane II's did wonders for my compound bow. I switched from Quickspin vanes and the groups tightened up and also my arrows are holding speed better. With the Aerovanes my bow was shooting 5" higher at 40 yds compared to the quickspins.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM

thats good i just think that the areovanes are hitting the cables when shot my fried uses a vane called vane tec he is doing really well with this vane i do like how stiff the areovanes are though...
Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Silver Member

Hi Infantry Soldier,
The best equipt person to answer your question is a member who goes by the name of Super 91. He has been shooting the TAC 15 and 15i for at least 3 years now.

He's done more testing with a multitude of different vanes than the rest of us all put together.

Super 91 is one of only 3 field testers for Aerovane and Aerovane II's, but he has also done extensive testing of these vanes against everything else in the market place. He keeps great records on all his test work, so he could give you the help or information that your looking for.

I'll let him know that you have a few questions and see if he's able to break away long enough to jump in. With hunting season fast approaching and the new Drop Away Rest that he's testing, he may be pressed on time for a while.

Regards,

Jon
Old 09-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Silver Member

I should have mentioned that I would not suggest changing your vanes at this point because most of the testing that we've performed over the past year or so has yielded the fact that no other vane other than the manufactures stock Duravane 3-D's has performed any better than the stock vanes.

We have one or two that can perform about as well, but non better unless Super 91 has come up with something new that I'm unaware of. The most up-to date info. will still have to come from him, since I focus on testing other equipment and aspects.

Jon
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM

JON,
thanks for the info its just that the stock vanes after shot rinkle up some i hate that the van tec vane sis alil better then the stock vanes but i think i will just stick to the areovanes this season thanks again travis
Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Hi Travis,
The wrinkling of the vanes that you're experiencing is not a result of the wind during flight, but rather the fact that your vanes are likely to rub against either your left or right hand lower edge or they can be pressed against the lower edge of your Weaver Rails underside during launch.

When not one of these, you can get some vane disruption from constantly passing through your snows Whisker Biscuit. The biscuit is hard on vanes and the arrow shaft will place heavy wear on the bristles of your Whisker Biscuit.

I know many people don't think that changing out there arrow rest is that much of an improvement, but believe me, they are incorrect and it makes a huge difference in wear, performance and accuracy.

With the 2011 Hunting Season already upon us, I wouldn't make any additional changes, but I would suggest this customization as soon as you can afford to take your crossbow out of use for a couple of weeks.

Jon