Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Tac15i accuracy and consistancy problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Tac15i accuracy and consistancy problems

Checked the limbs, no visable cracks or splintering, either at rest or cocked. Ill be swapping the scope and shooting again as soon as my arrows arrive. Any other possible causes????
Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

Well, I repleaced the scope tonight with a fixed 4 power I've had for 30 years on everything from .22's to a 375H&H Mag and its never given me any problems. I shot it at 20 yards with the same arrow. Again, first 6 shots literally in same hole, then 7th arrow 2" left. Next 4 shots same hole again. Arrow number 12 went 8" low then arrow number 13 was 4" higher than number 12. Arrow 14 went in same hole as 13. What the hell is going on here???!!!!! Do I need to contact PSE?? Are they good with issues like this or will I get a run arround??? I've joked with my buddies in the past that PSE stood for "Pretty Sh**y Equipment". But I'm finding out this isn't far from the truth. I'm still getting a pretty good "crack" from the limbs when I draw it in roughly the same spot. Normal?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter981 View Post
Again, first 6 shots literally in same hole, then 7th arrow 2" left. Next 4 shots same hole again. Arrow number 12 went 8" low then arrow number 13 was 4" higher than number 12. Arrow 14 went in same hole as 13.
You may already be doing this with the Arrows, but we need to be sure we are on the same page. Are the arrows Literally Numbered as "#1", "#2", ... "#13", "#14" ?

Thus when you say:
--- 7th arrow went 2" left, does arrow #7 always go 2" left?
--- 12th arrow went 8" low, does arrow #12 always go 8" low?
--- 13th & 14th arrow went 4" low, does arrow #13 & #14 always go 4" low?
And arrows #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #8, #9, #10, #11 all hit in the same place.

If your arrows are not numbered, then number them and shoot them** in order, noting where each arrow hits. Repeat the process. If you start to see a pattern, arrow #7 always hits 2" left, while arrows #1-#6 always hit in the same place, then you know the problem is related to the arrows.

And yes, it is quite possible for you to have four arrows out of fourteen arrows that hit different than all others. Frankly, if you have ten arrows out of fourteen arrows that hit in the same hole at say 50-yards, consider yourself very lucky.

** One other thing, make absolutely sure, you load each arrow every time with the same side facing up. Some of us have found our arrows have a strong side and weak side. Thus, if you shoot the arrow with the weak side up it will fly one-way, and when loaded with strong side up it will fly another-way.

There is one other way to go about this. Shoot the same arrow, loaded with the same side-up twenty times. The arrow should hit in the same place almost every time. If the arrow hits in different places 2" left, 4" high, 8" low, ..., then something about how the X-bow is being held/shot or the X-bow itself has a flaky problem.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Bronze Member

Shooter981 -

A few questions :

1 - When you say you have a noticable crack when drawing the bowstring in the same place, it sounds like the problem I was having. For me it turned out to be the string was winding around one part of the spool when cranking and would eventually slip to another part giving a crack sound but also dislodging the arrow from the string.

2 - When you were doing your shooting were you using only 1 arrow and shot it 14 times or did you shoot 14 different arrows ? At 1st I thought you only shot 1 arrow, but then it sounded like you were shooting different arrows.

Also from years of High power rifle shooting, are you getting the same spot weld to the stock when you sight through the scope ? What I mean by that, are you always positioning your cheek the same way from shot to shot on the stock ? If you change your head position it can change your point of impact (Althought it should not at close distances, but just checking )

I'm still without my Tac and will probably be another week before I see it.

WildWillie
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter981 View Post
I'm still getting a pretty good "crack" from the limbs when I draw it in roughly the same spot. Normal?
Just verifying. Is the "crack" happening as the TAC-15 is being cocked (cranked back)?

Let me say this in advance. My TAC-15i does not make any "crack" sounds as it is being cocked. Occasionally, there is a "Pop" sound, which comes from the cocking-string popping between string-loops already wound over the crank's internal shaft.

Now, when my TAC-15i is shot, there is a "crack" like sound ("thump"?) as the limbs are suddenly stopped by the string hitting the rubber bumper stops.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 PM

For what it's worth, the noise you have described and the loss of accuracy is reminiscent of what I have experienced. I discounted the noise at first , thinking the cams were binding. The dealer's response was to use a fine oiler and lube the shaft pin area. It wasn't until the bow misfired that I shipped the unit back to the manufacturer. In both cases, the limbs were replaced. The first time, I never saw any cracks; it wasn't until the factory disassembled the unit that the cracks were found.
Most recently, just prior to the noise starting up again, the bow was hitting tacs at 40 yards. Then it started again: a few good shots, then a flyer. The limb was delaminating and splintering.
The good news is the bow's back together again and preliminary sight in has been achieved.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodrock View Post
The first time, I never saw any cracks; it wasn't until the factory disassembled the unit that the cracks were found.
I wonder if the cracking (delamination) of the limbs would show up on a X-ray?

Anybody with a TAC-15 with cracking limbs know a Doctor or Vet that could X-ray a cracked Limb, then the replacement limbs to see if one could tell the difference (see hidden damage)?

The one Vet I know who has an all Electronic (no-film) X-Ray system, the X-Ray detector is way too small to use. It is meant strictly for looking at teeth or small bones vs. abdomen or leg bones.