Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

TAC15/ 15i

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM

TAC15/ 15i

I have a little exsperience with crossbows,but quite a bit with conventional bows. Most of the accurracy problems lie at the front and the back of the bolt. make sure the back of the bolt is square before the inserting the nock, and on the front , square the bolt install insert, and shoot a Rage broadhead. If you like fixed blade points, well GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: TAC15/ 15i

Ripsaw, I'm looking forward to other guys reporting on their best expandables success.

Meanwhile, here's thread about the Phathead fixed broadhead accuracyy.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripsaw View Post
I have a little exsperience with crossbows,but quite a bit with conventional bows. Most of the accurracy problems lie at the front and the back of the bolt. make sure the back of the bolt is square before the inserting the nock, and on the front , square the bolt install insert, and shoot a Rage broadhead. If you like fixed blade points, well GOOD LUCK!
Since the arrows for a TAC-15 come complete, you don't have the luxury of squaring the front of the shaft prior to the insert being installed. You can square the back but you have to break the nocks loose as they are glued in from the factory. Then there is a lot more to do to get the best groups you can out of the arrows.

A standard Rage broadhead has a VERY good chance of early deployment due to the g-forces encountered when shot out of a TAC-15. Rage just came out with a crossbow version this year to help accommodate those shooting a crossbow and having these problems.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 AM

Hey Super 91, I'm not familar with this tac 15 Are you telling me you can't build bolts for this crossbow? As far as the blades opening early you'll just have to shoot it. Try some different mechanical heads if you don't like those.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

Yes, the ONLY shaft for the TAC-15 at this point is the TAC shaft, and they come complete right now. They just came up with a new SKU that is for shafts only, but no one has gotten any in at this point so we do not know whether they just did not fletch them or if they will leave all the components loose so we can assemble them ourselves, which is preferable.

A standard RAGE broadhead will deploy the blade early when shot out of TAC on occasion. It is a crap shoot I am not willing to take a bet on. I have shot them so I know. Here is my fix....

Notice the small notches cut into the back of the blade. I used a small dremel tool to touch the blade for a second and made a small notch for the rubber band to sit in. I tested this head and deployment out of the TAC was no problem at all.

I also tested the Spitfires which did very well with no deployment in flight at all. I tried the standard Spitfires and the Maxx's too. Here is what the Maxx does to a doe....

Old 03-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Hey super, What are those shafts from PSE made out of? Also is that broadhead a sniper or a rage in your pics? I know rage bought the patent and took out the ruubberband design . I don't know if that would change it's preformance or not. I think two rubberbands is a good idea.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 PM

i have used the new grim reaper out to 50 yards with great success.