Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Tac Elite Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Re: Tac Elite Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM View Post
Their engineers are trying to figure it out. Anyone else ran into problems with replacement triggers. .
I don't have a TAC Elite so I can't compare. But I do have a TAC 15 that I put a replacement Trigger/Hammer assembly on without problems. I also modified the Hammer so that I could add noise dampening material to the cross pin that limits how far the hammer can travel when it is released.

PSE could have done better with their factory Trigger/Hammer. The Hammer is over-kill. To heavy and to strong a spring. The string release the Hammer "whacks" takes very little energy to trip. A piece of fine sewing thread looped around string release will easily trip it.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

The part that broke on mine was the disconnecter. It broke off an fell out. With out it the trigger wouldn't reset. The small steel pin also fell out of the crank gear. It's only held in place with an allenhead set screw. I reinstalled that and put locktite on the set screw.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K/NJ View Post
BKM, do you have an update on your Tac? My factory trigger broke after about 60 shots. I will replace it with a Timney. I'm on my second string also, on the first one the string weights moved and made contact with the cam on one side.
The Timney should be fine. Mine wasn't a trigger problem but the release sear on the sled of the crossbow. PSE has been good at helping. Only problem is they are so far away, a week by mail.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyhunting View Post
what is actually breaking on the unit? is the hammer actually breaking the little release lever or is it something else????
Ya, the engineers at PSE have been very helpful but the problem is the sear on the sled of the bow is breaking. They say the hammer spring on the after market trigger is too strong causing it to hit the sear too hard. When you have the part that breaks out where you can examine it, it is obvious it could use some reinforcing. It is the part the hammer strikes . Sorry, not sure how to post a pic. I had to put my factory trigger back in . Working on a new heavier, reinforced sear at the machine shop. Will let you know how that works out.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKM View Post
They say the hammer spring on the after market trigger is too strong causing it to hit the sear too hard.
Maybe a case of hammer being to light (lack of mass) for the hammer spring, so hammer is moving to fast for sear to handle the impact?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieBowie View Post
Maybe a case of hammer being to light (lack of mass) for the hammer spring, so hammer is moving to fast for sear to handle the impact?
You are exactly right but, this is what makes the trigger so impressive. Very fast lock time and you can adjust the weight to mere ounces. The sear just needs to be beefier. It is weakened by the two holes in it to be able to attach the return spring.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

PSE lied to you. It happened to me. I no longer own the bow since it was returned for being a POS. That wasn't my only problem. I had two replacements before returning it