Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Tac Elite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tac Elite

If you are thinking about cutting the Picatinny rail off so you can shoot 3-vane arrows, there is an option. Instead of cutting rail off, you can split the rail part way back down the middle. The split creates a slot for the cock vane. The slot needs to be wide enough the vane has clearance on each side.

I chose the slot option for two reasons:
1) The rail provides some protection for arrow from brush & branch hits when stalking through woods.
2) The rail provides some protection for shooter should an arrow break on firing.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieBowie View Post
If you are thinking about cutting the Picatinny rail off so you can shoot 3-vane arrows, there is an option. Instead of cutting rail off, you can split the rail part way back down the middle. The split creates a slot for the cock vane. The slot needs to be wide enough the vane has clearance on each side.

1) The rail provides some protection for arrow from brush & branch hits when stalking through woods.
2) The rail provides some protection for shooter should an arrow break on firing.
How did you go about splitting it?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieBowie View Post

If you have an HHA speed dial installed, you can still cut the rail back and have the protection mentioned above. Did you Split the rail on your Tac? We're there any problems after? it sounds like it could cause more problems by weakening it or creating a tuning fork affect when shooting.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyhunting View Post
How did you go about splitting it?
I used a mini-cut off wheel on a grinder with a depth guide to make a centered cut.
Then expanded the cut with wider blade of a saw.
Next I ground split's edges to angle and round them.
Finally, I cleaned up the split and its edges with polishing wheel.

Gunsmith or metal fabrication shop should be able to do the same. Especially if they have a milling machine.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K/NJ View Post
If you have an HHA speed dial installed,
I don't have a HHA optimizer installed, but I don't see why you couldn't.
Instead of the rail ending where it would normally be cut off at, the split in the rail starts and goes towards bows arms.

Quote:
it sounds like it could cause more problems by weakening it
The same amount of unmodified rail is still there that would be there if one simply cut the rail off. The split I made begins just after where the rail would be cut off at and goes forward.

Quote:
creating a tuning fork affect when shooting.
I have not noticed any tuning fork effect. But I have to admit my ability to hear sounds above 14KHz is diminished.

Don't like the split?
You can always go ahead and cut the rail off as has been discussed. The split stops just before the point where the suggested cut off point is normally made.