Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Tac 15i cranking issues and bolt turning out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Tac 15i cranking issues and bolt turning out

Well, after reading all the positive feed back about this unit, I took the Plunge! I picked one up 2 weeks ago. The local Pro shop had one set up already, and thats the one I got. Well after getting it home and going over all the material do's and don'ts ect... it was time to shoot a bolt. I shot several and wow, pritty impressive. I had a harder time then normal cranking back my last shot, about 2/3s of the way back it seamed like a binding feeling. I shot that bolt and I heard somthing hit the floor. I looked around and found a bolt. the bolt fell out of the right hand side of the receiver, it connected to the the string crank. the one on the oppsite side was still snug. Well I reinstalled the bolt, double checked all the bolts on the whole unit again and nocked another bolt, I shot several more with no issues. I ordered all the goodies for a upgrade, dropaway rest, optimizer of the scope,timney trigger kit,silencing hardware for the trigger and a set of quad limb silencers! Everything came in yesterday except for the trigger. Today I started to paper tune and after several shots it got hard to crank back again.The bolt fell out of the same place while cranking it back! I tried putting it on safe and would not go, tried letting it back down no luck. I had to fire it instead. found collar split in half were the bolt goes in to the receiver. sounds like a lemon to me!!! I took all goodies back off and away it went. Still waiting on a call. Is there anyone with a similar problem?

Last edited by Bowgadget; 08-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tac 15i cranking issues and bolt turning out

I had something like this happen.
The bolt on the left side of the ratchet drum was missing and I didn't know it of course.
The bow became increasingly hard to crank as parts wore from the stress.
I sent it to PSE who fixed it promptly and rushed it back to me in time to harvest two more does before the season ended.

I've had absolutely no problems since this fix.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the feed back twanker. Did you also have issues retracking the string and problems putting the safety on?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Silver Member

The safety will not go on until the trigger is cocked.
This is a known 'quirk' of the Tac15i.
I manually cock the trigger using the little finger of my right hand and reaching inside the action of the crossbow and pushing down on the hammer until it clicks.
Then you can put the safety on.

I've had no problems with the string.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:32 PM

I think, reaching inside the action of the crossbow and pushing down on the hammer until it clicks is a flaw in the sysyem to say the least!!!!! Well I sure hope that is not the case when it comes back from PSE. I would like to see if this is a ongoing problem from anyone else!!.I called the pro shop to check on it and was told, it was sent back for repair on 8/18/2012..... Not to be a stick in the mud, I should have pushed it for a new one! I dished out a good penny on the "new" unit so far. I was told 2 weeks, lets hope its less so PSE can make good on the turn around maybe a couple dozon of arrow for the problems HOW ABOUT IT!!!!. I'll keep all of you posted!!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Bowgadget -

I had one of the bolts come loose on me as well(posted about it this time last year). I tried to keep an eye on it, but it happened again about a week later. About 2 weeks after that the opposite side bolt sheared off (I am assuming it was because of the extra torq that bolt was under when the other one backed out.

Anyhow I sent it back to PSE and the replaced the entire upper in short order (Was without the bow for about 2.5 weeks).

I have had my Tac for over a year now and after some initial problems it has been shooting great. I am about to change the whisker biscuit to the drop away rest. (Was hoping the AeroRest would be available before hunting season but I cannot wait on that any longer)

WildWillie
Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 AM

Did anyone give a reason for the bolts backing out? Maybe PSE should locktite them in to prevent this from happening. I am under the 30 day PSE return date if not happy, thinking of calling and request a new unit today. I should not have to wait 2.5 weeks if they have one in stock. I need time to play around before the season to setup and work out the bugs.......