Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

TAC 15/15i Basic Unpublished Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 01:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: TAC 15/15i Basic Unpublished Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
I would want to be watching from a remote camera though.
Now you know why I asked, vs. attempting !

If done using something like a Bar-Clamp (screw crank type) to apply pressure (thus limited to a given distance) vs. say balancing 155#s of weight (thus unlimited till it hits the floor) on one end of a shaft. It shouldn't be risky, but not necessarily safe either.

To my thinking, a Bar-Clamp would be similar to Hydrostatic testing done on Scuba tanks vs. testing a Scuba tank by pressuring it with Air (destructive and bloody dangerous). Using a Bar-Clamp, once the arrow shaft bends at all, the pressure is relieved, and the clamp ends don't continue closing. Still safety precautions would be warranted, the shaft could spring off sideways. There is the question if such a method would cause the arrow shaft to bend (flex) as it normally does when shot, or crush.

I would give it a try, but currently I don't have a Spine tester, thus a way to compare the two results. If only money grew on trees, or I could spend like the Federal Government.

BTW: Thanks for all the work you and others have put into the whole TAC-15 Arrow (shaft, fletching, inserts, knocks, glue) testing. From what little I have done, I know it is a time consuming and often a no-progress endeavor.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Bronze Member

OkieBowie,

Since I have the spine tester, I will do this on a few shafts when I get to that point. I happen to have a long bar clamp and will see how it turns out.

BTW, where do I send my medical bills to? Just kiddin'.....
Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM

My local PSE Pro Shop ordered me a set of bare shafts and components today. The price isn't much lower about $85.00
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 PM

I prefer not to use the 85 grain tip when heating and removing the Tac 15 insert.

I like using a saunders 245 grain tip its much larger about 2 inches. keeps the flame away from the insert an carbon shaft.

you can get them at Lancaster
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Hi All

Had the Misfortune to "Partially Dry Fire" my TAC15i on it's first outing.

Can only be a mm or so gap between String & Nock Face, it still hit the "10 Ring" of a 40cm FITA Face at 100yds.

The Nock was pushed 1/2" up the Shredded Shaft.

Makes me think that Easton's Finest may not be up to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/...1092010023.jpg

As for stripping the Fletchings & Nocks - Put in boiling water for 15mins.

Apologies for the Photos - Even an expensive Mobile may not take decent Pictures.

Cheers

Les
Old 04-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Bronze Member

Use the macro setting on the mobile and you will get better pics. But what happened to you is the reason PSE started gluing in the nocks from the factory. If your nock backs out just a tiny bit from the previous shot, and you load and shoot it without pushing it tight to the shaft, it acts as a "hammer effect" and drives the nock into the shaft. That is why some people have been doing some nock collars or something to try to prevent this problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

Hi All,

I just now received a reply from Easton Technical regarding availability of the newest FMJ shafts in 11/32 inch diameter. They say the new FMJ “bolt” will only be offered in a 22 inch length.

It strikes me there is a company that offers a heavy, tapered carbon shaft called the “GrizzlyStik” for dangerous game hunting. I think it would be worth a brief e-mail to them to see if anyone has asked about the suitability of their shafts for this application.
I’ll let you know what I hear.

I am (once again) off to see the Wizard.

Konrad
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper