Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

spot and stalk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

spot and stalk

Had a great hunt yesterday with the Tac15.

I drove to one of our deer management spots at 4pm and there were deer already at the feeder. It's usually a waste of time blowing them off the feeder and climbing into the stand. They often don't come back that night.

After quietly loading the Tac15, I grab the range-finder, and made a nonchalant stroll to the front door of the house to make the deer think I was no threat.

Then I sneaked down the side of the house and dropped to the ground. When the wind gusted it would get noisy and I'd belly crawl into the side-yard a few feet, and when the wind stopped I'd freeze. About 10 minutes of this gained me 30-40 yards and cover behind a huge pile of hardwood chips in the side-yard.

I popped my head up and sure enough the deer were still there.

I popped my head up again with the range finder and ranged a deer near the feeder at 36 yards.

Ducking back behind the mound I set the Tac15's HHA Speed dial to 36 yards and the scope to 4X.

Quietly I pulled the Tac15 up on the chip mound, thumbed off the safety, and settled in behind the scope.
Unfortunately the biggest doe had swapped ends and now was 4 yards from the feeder, looking directly at me and poised for a quick get-away with her vitals behind a tree. Oh no!

So there we were in a Mexican stand-off, looking like the situation was gonna blow-up at any second. After about 30 seconds of this she made her mind up, swapped ends, and headed back to the feeder. Whoo-hoo!

It wasn't long before the crosshairs were settled on her vitals and the arrow was away. Whop! I was rewarded with the sound of a good hit.

The place exploded and deer ran everywhere. The doe vanished in one leap. I checked the watch and saw that it was 4:20 - it was the most intense 20 minutes I've had in quite some time.

120 yards of easy blood trailing yielded a nice mature doe.
She's #7 for the year, and the farthest I've ever shot a deer with the Tac15.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Bronze Member

Re: spot and stalk

Twanger, nice story, congrats on the doe.