Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM

scopes

what scope works best on this tac, haveing problems keeping the one that came with it sighted in, can you get by with a rifle scope without wipeing it out, need help fast deer season is almost here.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: scopes

I would think any good quality scope would work. I did not have problems with the original scope keeping position although I did have problems with the battery/illumination(Had PSE replace the 1st scope). If you are using the HHA Optimizer than a single illuminated recticle with 1-5 or 3-9 power would be best. Again this is one area that is subject to opinion and may vary widly !

WildWillie
Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Bronze Member

I've used my rifle scopes with no problem. I specifically use a Nightforce when playing around on the range. But for hunting, my state prohibits any magnification at all on any archery scope. That pretty much dictates a red dot. I never did find a 1X crosshair. Then I found that most all red dots are HUGE at 3 MOA or more and covers complete targets at any distance. Bushnell makes a 1X intended for a AR5.56 with a 1 MOA electric dot-crosshair type thing, so that is what I use in the field with an Optimizer.

When I was shooting just to see how small I could get the groups I used the NF 5.5x56, but the Bushnell & Optimizer is pretty much a permanent install now.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

I had problems with the screws backing out in the scope rings.
I used Blue Locktite on them all. Time will tell re: this fix.

So far so good.

I tend not to shoot a lot... just enough to make sure I understand the weapon parameters but not so much that I wear the thing out.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 PM

changed scopes and now i cant get it to go low enough at 20 yards there is always something
Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

I just recently went through all this because I changed my strings this year before the season. So I completely had to reset the bow at every point and angle. Much credit here goes to jon.henry & Buzzard bait for all the help they gave me! Everything went off without a hitch due to their info.

You can move your front rest also in this situation. When I was setting up my scope/Optimizer combo, I started by centering my scope adjustments. Example: Go to the bottom stop, then count the turns to the top stop. Then, say if it takes 10 turns total from bottom to top, set the scope at 5 turns from bottom. Use the front rest to tweak elevation in order the center the scope at your determined distance.

I already had my bow pretty much level, in line, etc. before shooting so I wasn't that far off on windage so I fine tuned using the scope. After you get that first, close zero then you can pretty much forget the scope (if you're using the Optimizer also) until you get out a ways. At distance I had to move a few clicks windage, but it was slight, and a non-issue at the closer targets.