Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Replacing my Tac15i Stock - How?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Replacing my Tac15i Stock - How?

Glad I could help!

Regards,

Jon
Old 07-28-2011, 01:19 PM

I am enlightened! I didn't realize you could change to after market stocks with the 15i. Just out of curiosity.... why did you guys go for the 15i rather than the 15 given you are using after market AR stocks?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Hi BillyTell,
We're using after market Buttstocks only and these are sold by many different company's such as Brownell's Gun Parts, Midway and to many others to even count.

It was never my intent to change the Buttstock on my TAC15i. I only started looking into it after I ran into the problem of the manufactures stock not fitting my shoulder when I would attempt to look through the scope that came with the PSE TAC15i Package. The scope uses a long eye relief of 4.5 inches, which pushes your head further back on the stock. This left at least a 1 inch gap between my shoulder and the stock, when the buttstock was fully extended.

Maybe we should talk about how to properly position a scope for a shooters eye, then everybody can determine if they are comfortable with their own set up?

1. Generally, it's recommended that you place your scope upon your mounting rails, but do not tighten any screws that would lock it in place.

2. Next, Close your eyes and shoulder your rifle or crossbow with your cheek in it's most comfortable position against the stock or cheek rest.

3. Now open your eyes without moving your head and look through the scopes eye piece. Do you have a full clear picture through the eye piece or are your edges darkened?

4. If anything is darkened or not visible then you need to move the scope forward or backward on its base, to support your visual needs.

5. If this can't be accommodated by the mounting rail, due to not enough space, then you will need to change either the eye relief distance, the length of your Buttstock or both.

I learned later that I could have changed out just my scope to a shorter eye relief and it would have solved my problem, but I ended up doing both and love the custom fit and feel that I now have. Adding an inexpensive cheek rest also makes for a more comfortable, more consistent alignment each time you shoulder your weapon.

Jon
Old 07-28-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.henry755 View Post
Hi BillyTell,
We're using after market Buttstocks only and these are sold by many different company's such as Brownell's Gun Parts, Midway and to many others to even count.

It was never my intent to change the Buttstock on my TAC15i. I only started looking into it after I ran into the problem of the manufactures stock not fitting my shoulder when I would attempt to look through the scope that came with the PSE TAC15i Package. The scope uses a long eye relief of 4.5 inches, which pushes your head further back on the stock. This left at least a 1 inch gap between my shoulder and the stock, when the buttstock was fully extended.

Maybe we should talk about how to properly position a scope for a shooters eye, then everybody can determine if they are comfortable with their own set up?

1. Generally, it's recommended that you place your scope upon your mounting rails, but do not tighten any screws that would lock it in place.

2. Next, Close your eyes and shoulder your rifle or crossbow with your cheek in it's most comfortable position against the stock or cheek rest.

3. Now open your eyes without moving your head and look through the scopes eye piece. Do you have a full clear picture through the eye piece or are your edges darkened?

4. If anything is darkened or not visible then you need to move the scope forward or backward on its base, to support your visual needs.

5. If this can't be accommodated by the mounting rail, due to not enough space, then you will need to change either the eye relief distance, the length of your Buttstock or both.

I learned later that I could have changed out just my scope to a shorter eye relief and it would have solved my problem, but I ended up doing both and love the custom fit and feel that I now have. Adding an inexpensive cheek rest also makes for a more comfortable, more consistent alignment each time you shoulder your weapon.

Jon
Good information. Thanks Jon!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

You're welcome and I hope it helps you!

Jon
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.henry755 View Post

This should be another TIP or Sticky.

I know a few Gun Hunters that could benefit from this. But I ain't helping them compete with my bow.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Hi OkiewBowie,
I love you for your candid input and your observations, but if it makes you feel any better, they can never compete with us, because no matter what they do, they can never be as quiet or as invisible as we can be.

There's a great deal to be said for stealth!!!

Jon