Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

pse tac 15i effective hunting range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 05:30 PM

pse tac 15i effective hunting range

I am thinking of purchasing this crossbow but am having hard time figuring out the effective hunting range is. I currently have an Excalibur exomag and although I can group very good at 60 yards the noise and flight time keep my hunting to 35 ish. I have searched a lot of forum and mostly just found the guys bashing them. Too heavy, loud, ect. So to all of you that own them are they quiet for a crossbow and what effective range for hunting would you give them on hunting white tail.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: pse tac 15i effective hunting range

I sold a TAC to a guy who first actually shot 6 different crossbows before selecting the TAC.

He told me the TAC is the quietest.

I have killed deer at 72 and 86 yards with mine.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

My Tac 15 is very quite compared to other crossbows.

I think the longer arrows make the difference.(Over 26" and longer ones can be shot).

I would imagine that the max killing would be somewhere around 100 yards based on penetration, trajectory and accuracy.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Great, I was hoping for at least 75 yards, my main concern was the noise level, as my Excalibur is pretty darn loud. Is there any down sides other than length/weight and that doesn't bother me considering the weight of some of the rifles I carry are substantially more.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

The Tac15i is very quiet. Quietest crossbow I've seen.
Not as quiet as my vertical bow, but almost.

Having a deer jump the string is the farthest think from my mind with that Timney trigger breaks.

I have not shot a deer beyond 35 yards, but I don't set up for shots farther than that.

Maybe some day I'll shoot farther.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Compared to other crossbows the Tac is very quiet straight from the factory and with a few add ons you can quiet it down a LITTLE more. As far as effective hunting range goes, it all depends on you and your abilities. Carefully set up the Tac is very accurate out to 100+ yards.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM

I'm new to deer hunting, I shot my first deer last fall from a tree stand at 66 yards using the Tac 15i. Complete double lung pass thru, the deer ran about 30 yards. Searched a long time and never found the arrow. Suspect it is deep under the gound.