Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

PSE TAC 15 crossbow - first range outing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: PSE TAC 15 crossbow - first range outing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieBowie View Post
428g = 392 fps (085g field)
443g = 387 fps (100g field)
468g = 377 fps (125g field)

My understanding - people were getting 400+ fps with 100g field points...
Saw where another person who has lots of experience with his TAC 15 is getting the same number as I got above with 100g field tip.
" I have 100 grain tips in mine and a chronoed at 387fps."

Also came across the following, which seems questionable unless the person upped the draw weight.
"i own a tac 15i i got 412.5 fps with a 100 grain field point instead of the 85 that comes with it..."

Very confusing as to what one should expect from the TAC 15 using normal 100g or 125g hunting weights. Time to call PSE and ask them. They should have a plenty of data on FPS for various tip weights and at some common distances.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:38 AM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
Very confusing as to what one should expect from the TAC 15 using normal 100g or 125g hunting weights.
How will you use the accurate data, why is it important to know, are you feeding it into a ballistics program, if so which one? I have not found a program that seems like it can deal accurately with such low speeds and BC's,

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
How will you use the accurate data, why is it important to know, are you feeding it into a ballistics program, if so which one? I have not found a program that seems like it can deal accurately with such low speeds and BC's,
Hello Len
My plan is to feed the data into a ballistics program that is free for the downloading, but is primarily meant for Hawke scopes.
{ Hawke Sport Optics : Ballistic Reticle Calculator BRC }

The Hawke BRC program compensates for the slow down of a projectile (akin to Ballistic Coefficient) that Hawke's program calls "Estimated Deterioration value". The program comes with some built-in Estimated Deterioration values, for a rough start. The program lets you calculate your own Estimated Deterioration value using the FPS values at given XX yards and YY yards. The program also lets you calculate your own Estimated Deterioration value by entering the actual POI at a distance of 2 times the yardage the scope is zeroed at. However, this calculation requires the Muzzle FPS be known too.

As you can see, to properly setup and use the program, you really need to know the FPS of your X-Bow fairly accurately (+/- 0.5%?). Once you have the correct values, the program can help you select the yardage you want to zero too and then the Magnification (which equates to adjusting the scope for FPS) of the various Hawke scopes.
For example: Currently, I am looking at Zeroing my Hawke XB30 Scope at 30 yards, which will give upper post's bottom of 15 yards, cross-hairs at 30 yards, 1st + down of 45 yards, 2nd + down of 60 yards, 3rd + down of 75 yards, and bottom post's top of 90 yards.

Hope that all makes sense and explains my desire for accurate FPS.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 AM
PUBLISHER

I have that program on my computer at home. I'll have to give it another try with your pointers. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
UPDATE - I got back at the range this afternoon as the weather improved. There was still some crosswind but not much. Mostly a headwind as to direction.

I shot groups at 40, 50 and 60 yards. From a bench with front bag, rear unsupported. Notice that only one of the groups had any significant vertical. That one shot at 60 yards was a shocker. Imagine being shocked by an extra, measly ONE INCH of vertical with an arrow at 60 yards.

After I get my drops worked out and get into practice mode, I will have to shoot at separate dots for ranges under 70 yards so I don't waste arrows by hitting them in a tight group. Can you even imagine that kind of a problem in archery practice at those distances?

The PSE TAC 15 crossbow is everything that I hoped for in accuracy potential. I will install an anti-cant scope level and an ACI (for uphill/downhill) before I go out again. Since I used various aiming points nothing can be told about drop by viewing these photos. I'll summarize the drop from 20 out to 100 yards at some future point in my testing.

I'll be consulting with Bryan Litz, the Berger Bullets' ballistician, about how to go about estimating a BC from my drops and from chronographed velocity changes. Then I can play around with drop tables generated by a ballistics program in order to correct for altitude and temperature out in the mountains this fall.

I know it sounds crazy to be talking about ballistics programs when shooting an arrow but this PSE TAC 15 is unbelievable. I hope to try for a deer out to 100 yards if the drops and accuracy testing continues to go well as I stretch the target distances.

Hi Len - do you have any suggerstion on these - do you sell these ??" You mentioned this in initial post on TAC 15 -I will install an anti-cant scope level and an ACI (for uphill/downhill) before I go out again" plus I would like to buy an extra crank for my TAC 15 - hate to go on huting trip with out extra - plus I need advice on where to find the anti- cant scope level you listed in original post on TAC 15 - thanks Bernie2525
Old 10-28-2010, 12:25 PM
PUBLISHER

Bernie

I sell levels and ACI's in my LRH Gear Shop. You need to match the scope tube diameter when ordering the level. 30mm or 1 inch. Same with the mounting system for the ACI.

As a cheap crank backup, consider a socket wrench, You'll probably never need it anyway.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Bernie

I sell levels and ACI's in my LRH Gear Shop. You need to match the scope tube diameter when ordering the level. 30mm or 1 inch. Same with the mounting system for the ACI.

As a cheap crank backup, consider a socket wrench, You'll probably never need it anyway.
I am using the scope you recommended for TAC 15 -the air rifle scope isn't that 1 inch

I had a operation on left hand sept and until now could not shoot - - however in Louisiana - to hot to hunt till about now. - had bow for 4 months and just took out of box and putting scope on this wekend. I did not see levels in GEAR SHOP ?