Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

PSE TAC 15 crossbow - first range outing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 AM
SPONSOR

Re: PSE TAC 15 crossbow - first range outing

Len,

I'm very impressed with the accuracy of that crossbow. I've shot archery all my life and knew that crossbows were more 'snappy' than normal bows, but damn.

Regarding ballistics, you can use a standard ballistics program like you use for bullets. The Berger program:
Berger Bullets

is a good, simple program to use for this. You will have to know the weight of the entire arrow (I thought they were called 'bolts'?) in grains. For caliber, use the diameter of the shaft, in inches. Ultimately, you will have to determine BC by trial and error based on your drop data, but a good place to start is to enter a G1 BC that results in a form factor of around 1.1 or 1.2. That should be close.

If you can set up two chronographs and measure the velocity at two distances, then you can derive a BC that way. Once you have the BC of the arrows/bolts, everything else about the program works the same way.

Note that if the crossbow gets out of 'tune' at all, resulting in the arrows flying with any amount of yaw, that the BC will be degraded quite a bit. You mentioned a 'paper test' in your first post, which I assume has something to do with tuning the pitch/yaw out of the crossbow. It would be a good idea to check once in a while to make sure it stays in tune, or else your ballistics will degrade significantly.

I also think it's a good idea to do some serious verification shooting with whatever broadhead you plan to work with. Even if you have to destroy a couple heads to get the drop fully verified, it's probably worth it to know how the arrows will fly 'when it counts'.

Out of curiosity, how much does something like that cost? Looks like a bunch of fun! I wonder what the max effective range is, based on hitting an 8" vital zone with lethal energy? My guess would be up to 300 yards? You'd need a lot of elevation in the scope!

Have fun,
-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 AM
PUBLISHER

Bryan, thanks for the help.

Quote:
(I thought they were called 'bolts'?)
Since they are 26 inches long PSE calls them arrows.

Quote:
Note that if the crossbow gets out of 'tune' at all, resulting in the arrows flying with any amount of yaw, that the BC will be degraded quite a bit. You mentioned a 'paper test' in your first post, which I assume has something to do with tuning the pitch/yaw out of the crossbow. It would be a good idea to check once in a while to make sure it stays in tune, or else your ballistics will degrade significantly.
I did check it when I started but I have meant to check it more carefully right about now. I suspect I may have some yaw because it seems to me the wind drift may be more than what is predicted by my rough BC calcs based on drop. As with rifles, max kill distance will depend on wind reading skills more than any other singe factor.more

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how much does something like that cost? Looks like a bunch of fun!
Funny you should ask!

LRH Gear Shop is now a PSE TAC 15 crossbow dealer!

PSE requires all dealers to sell right at MSRP which I am. But I am offering 6 additonal free arrows (value of $90).

The prices are TAC 15 and TAC 10 $1299 (utilizes your AR15 lower)

And the TAC 15i and TAC 10i $1599 (comes with its own lower)

About as much as a higher end factory rifle -- and way more fun.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Len your last post got me to wondering, would the TAC 15 be considered a top of the line factory crossbow? I'm thinking yes. If so is there such a thing as a custom crossbow and how would cost compare. Maybe a dumb question but, I am not familar with the sport but, the more I read the more interesting it's becoming.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 PM
PUBLISHER

Yes, it is top of the line. I don't know if there are custom crossbows out there.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Len, I went and did a little research and found a custom crossbow outfit...you got to check out the link. Talk about pricey at 8000 that's $13,000 at 1.629 exchange rate as of today. I'm sure they are fine works of art but, just not my cup of tea. Anyway back on topic. It looks like you have a winner and suspect you will sell quite a few of them.

Talisman Crossbows
Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Len your last post got me to wondering, would the TAC 15 be considered a top of the line factory crossbow? I'm thinking yes. If so is there such a thing as a custom crossbow and how would cost compare. Maybe a dumb question but, I am not familar with the sport but, the more I read the more interesting it's becoming.
I just got mine today(Tac 15) and It is a fine piece of machinery !!!

Well designed,well made And looks good.

It is all black and the arrows are all black including the Fletch and nocks.I will change the Fletch
to something brighter for hunting because you cant use the lumanocks because of loading at
release.

I have a AR lower with a custom trigger set at 2 lbs and it works great.

It is not as heavy as I though it would be or as loud.

I was realy down when I realized I could no longer draw a compound Bow and was hesitant
about going to a cross bow until I shot mine today.

As Len said " this thing is fun" and If you want a cross bow this is the one.

It puts the "long range" into bow hunting and that's what everyone on this site likes.

Give Len a call and get one of these things. You won't be sorry.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-03-2010, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

JE, congratulations on getting yours, you sound pretty excited so let the good time roll.