Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

PSE TAC 15 crossbow - which broadhead are you using?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: PSE TAC 15 crossbow - which broadhead are you using?

Hi Hunter38,
I still use a single tiny o-ring at the base of every broadhead. This allows up to a quarter of a turn of extra rotation on the broadhead as it tightens. This is enough to insure that the broadhead is correctly aligned and plenty tight enough to maintain its position for many each shot.

The o-rings or tiny rubber-bands are sold at any archery shop that carries broadheads. If you need a link to them let me know and I'll send you one.

Years ago, on aluminum arrows, we would simply heat the shafts and rotate the insert with the broadhead connected to align all broadheads to the same exact position. The inserts were installed using "Hot Ferrule Cement" by Boning or Easton. Today's Carbon Shafts can't be heated the same way without damaging the carbon layer, so other methods were developed to get around the problem and still end up with good alignment.

Regards,

Jon
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Quick comment on the subject...
I just tested my tac15 with Rage 3 blade 100 grns collapsables.....they are hitting exactly where my 100 grain field points are hitting. I even tried firing 1 field point, then 1 rage, back and fourth, and when I walked to the target, I had to pull each one out to tell which was which. I tested them from 20 to 70 yards tonight.
Tim
Old 09-29-2011, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Excellent news tawood.

Please keep us posted on how they perform for you at the longer distances as well.

I'm sure that most of our forum members who intend on hunting whitetail deer are not planning on taking shots over 70 yards, but just in case, it's always nice to know that you have the option to do so in the event the opportunity does arise.

I'm still a major fan of any cut-on-contact broadhead, but finding a good performing mechanical broadhead is always of interest to many hunters. Especially ones that don't open prematurely and contain the right weight to maintain the right F.O.C.

Good info.!

Regards,

Jon
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM

Meat seeks tr 2 inch 3 blade.....very good when my limbs are not cracked....
Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

In ignorance I swapped out all of my 85gr FPs for 100gr FPs and am still getting 1.5" groups at 60 yds.
So... I decided to try my standard 100gr mechanical broadhead - the Rocket Steelhead XL. This shoots through the same hole at 30 yards as does the 100gr FP.

So I'm a happy camper!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

Hi Twanger,
I could have told you that you'd probably get the same results with your 100 grain heads as you do with the 85 grain heads at 60 yards. Testing with a chronograph has shown us that even at 100 yards these crossbows are only losing 15 - 20 fps of velocity.

That said, the only major change your going see when the weight of a given broadhead changes is that of elevation, which is most noticeable at longer distances.

At 100 grains you will have a much better F.O.C. (Front Of Center) balance on your arrows.

The key rule in really accurate shooting is to find what heads are working best for your crossbow and then just stay with them. It's not much different than finding the right bullet for a gun!

Good luck and good shooting!

Jon
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Hi Jon...

I probably wasn't too clear.

I've never even shot the 85gr heads.

I immediately swapped them out for 100gr and THEN went shooting.

During this testing I compared the 100gr Rocket Steelhead to the 100gr field-point and saw no difference in point of impact at 30 yds.

But to your point... I can easily believe you when you say that 15 gr would not make much difference in arrow POI at closer ranges.

I've shot 4 wildly different types of fletchings with my compound bow and with field-points they all group essentially the same at 30 yards: 5" offset feathers, 3" straight quick-spin, 2" offset blazers, 3" offset parabolic. Doesn't matter.