Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Phathead broadhead accuracy test & review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Phathead broadhead accuracy test & review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripsaw View Post
Look Super, Do what you want, But just remember it is a physical fact that when you put wings on the front of an arrow everything becomes more critical. I understand the advantages of fixed blades I wished they shot like Mechanicals, but they don't: that why manufacturers build mechanicals.
Listen, I'm not here to bash heads, I merely am agreeing to disagree somewhat with you. I'm not trying to start a big debate, I merely am pointing out some things I have some experience with, just like you.

I do agree that putting a broadhead on a shaft causes things to change as far as flight generally speaking. There is a lot of tuning involved to get the same flight as field points. But as you mentioned that manufacturers make mechanicals, they also make super short heads with adequate cutting diameters that fly nearly the same as field points if properly tuned. Also, the longer the head, the more the change in weight distribution which will also affect how the spine reacts to a given head. The shorter heads tend to perform more like the field points which is in itself an advantage.

I am not so much refuting what you are saying as I am merely sharing my experiences. I have had the pleasure to shoot the TAC-15 for a year now, and have tried and tested a lot of heads and fletching configs to the this point. Most standard heads will not fly out of this bow due to the high speeds and exactly what you are saying. But some heads do and it is mainly due to the design of the head.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Boys, boys, boys, I love you guys because you have strong knowledge and make some very compelling points that support your statements.

I think these arguments are very similar to those that fuel our manufacturing industry. That is why we have some very dedicated archers who use only mechanical headss and some who are locked to fixed blades. There are certainly pro's and con's for each type of head and it almost becomes a religious issue with some people.

That said, I think it would be great if we could do some additional testing as Super 91 is planning and come up with one or more specific configurations in both mechanical and another in fixed blades that are performing to our highest standards and can be recommended to our members.

This way everybody can maintain their own choices as to which head design they prefer. Maybe along the way we'll find out that on the TAC15's one type of head does considerably out perform the other and then everything else becomes a dead issue.

Similar to Len's testing results, let's see some test data to support our theory's, since that's an impartial engineering approach we can all agree on.

Getting more than a single arrow to fly and group well has been an ongoing challenge at long distances with these xbows, so we have a great deal of work to do before we can achieve optimal performance. Everybody's help and input serves to help us reach that end.

Regards,

Jon
Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Bronze Member

Agreed!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 PM

moved to

106 yard kill shot on woodchuck with TAC 15 and Atom broadhead

Last edited by ADMIN; 04-15-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Bronze Member

I have never shot the Atom heads, but I have seen them and also have seen a number of failures with them, at least in the beginning. I always thought it was a good idea. How well do the ones you have hold up to target shooting? And what was the damage to the head after passing through the ground hog? Are these 100 grain heads? Do they make 75 or 85 grain heads?