Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

Phathead broadhead accuracy test & review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 12:49 PM
PUBLISHER

Phathead broadhead accuracy test & review

The Phat Head broadhead is a short, sharp, compact broadhead made by Steel Force and it flies extremely well. In this Phat Head broadhead accuracy test & review I shot them out to 100 yards.

Many of you know that I shoot a PSE TAC 15i crossbow and that it shoots tiny groups at 406 fps speeds. Up until this week I had only shot field tips with it. Getting close to hunting season I was in the final stages of selecting broad head candidates out of the myriad of choices out there.

The Phat Head appealed to me because the folks at PSE have had good luck with it and because it just looks like it would fly well and kill stuff easily at long ranges.

So yesterday morning I shot with them. I used the same arrow for each shot so I could eliminate any variables in my accuracy test and review. Bipod and bench. I get the same results prone as from a bench.

The following are the group sizes I got, each group was 2 shots. "Same hole" means the cutting edges of the blade from each shot overlapped each other since the 2 shots impacted so close to each other.
  • 30 YARDS same hole
  • 50 YARDS same hole
  • 70 YARDS 1.5 inches
  • 80 YARDS 2 inches
  • 90 YARDS 2 inches
  • 100 YARDS same hole

In addition, the 100 grain Phat Head broadheads impacted only 2 inches lower at 100 yards than the 85 grain field tips.

I am done searching for a good broadhead. I'll be shooting the Phat Head at deer in Wyoming out to about 130 yards this fall.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 08-23-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

re: Phathead broadhead accuracy test & review

I am leaving Sunday morning for bowhunting deer and elk in Utah with my vertical bow. I must say I am really impressed with the TAC 15 and the things you have been able to do with it.

I cannot think of any new guns I want nor need, so the TAC 15 is now sitting on the top of my list of new toys. Maryland has now gone to a no restriction on bows archery season and 130 yards is a long shot with a rifle in most places in Maryland.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like you have a winning combination Len. Good luck with the hunt, let us know how it went.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

Wow thats impressive. I might have to check them out.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Re: Phathead broadhead accuracy test & review

Here is the deal Len. Fixed blades can be adjusted to fly good in a perfect environment. In hunting situations when adenalin, wind ,cold air,footing, and whatever else can effect the shot. If you so much as flinch a little when you pull that trigger your bolt will not even come close. Also have you ever heard the term SMOKER SHOT! It is when your shooting through a small opening in the brush. A fixed blade will deflect off something, 99.9% of the time. A closed mechanical has a 10/1 better chance of hitting it's mark than a fixed blade. Thats a fact. I spent allot of time trying to get fixed blades to fly, but there is just no getting around this dilemma with fixed blades. Peace out Brother.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Bronze Member

I don't agree 100%. It all boils down to the shooter, not the equipment. If Len is doing the shooting, he may or may not flinch. If you practice and train yourself, what broadhead you have on end of the arrow (not a bolt in this case as you stated above) is irrelevant.

I plan on giving the 75 grain Phat Head a try as that will put my complete arrow at 423 which is real close to the original weight of 425 since I am adding a Firenock to the mix.

I hope to be able to do some fletching this week if I get my jig back from the machinist after completing my mods.

After tuning and fletching I plan on shooting some long range groups just for grins, and hopefully with some Phat Heads.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 AM

Look Super, Do what you want, But just remember it is a physical fact that when you put wings on the front of an arrow everything becomes more critical. I understand the advantages of fixed blades I wished they shot like Mechanicals, but they don't: that why manufacturers build mechanicals.