Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Hello, I am a long time shooter but, new to crossbows. I got my 15i yesturday and already have it sighted in up to 60yds. other than some minor issues I really love this crossbow. Very acurate for a bow and plenty of energy to harvest a deer past 50 yds. I sighted mine in w/ 100gr field tips. I was going hunting this evening and would like some advise on broadheads. I have NAP Shockwaves, NAP spitfires - both 2 and 3 blade, & Muzzy MX-3's.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1004 View Post
Hello, I am a long time shooter but, new to crossbows. I got my 15i yesturday and already have it sighted in up to 60yds. other than some minor issues I really love this crossbow. Very acurate for a bow and plenty of energy to harvest a deer past 50 yds. I sighted mine in w/ 100gr field tips. I was going hunting this evening and would like some advise on broadheads. I have NAP Shockwaves, NAP spitfires - both 2 and 3 blade, & Muzzy MX-3's.
I have shot Phat Heads, Rocket Steelhead XL's, and Slick Tricks, and none of the ones you mention.

By far the best accuracy I have gotten is with the Rocket Steelhead XL.
It also penetrates very well.
I shot through the shoulderblade of a 9-pointer a couple of weeks ago, range was 35 yards, and the arrow still stuck 6" in the ground on the other side of the deer, and was very hard to pull out of the ground.

This head has a 1.5" cut and kills very quickly.
If I'm on the money with my shot the deer rarely goes more than 50 yards.

Lastly, replacement blades are about $4 each, and I'm getting about 85% re-use out of the ferrules right now. They are very tough.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: USE TWO O-RINGS WITH THE TAC15!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the information. I will look at ordering some of the Rocket XL's. Just so you know I tested all of them before going hunting and only two, the NAP Spitfire 2 blade and NAP Shockwave hit the same place as my fieldpoint. I like the Muzzy MX-3 fixed blade from the past but I could not get them to group from the tac 15i.

This morning they were field tested on large does. The Shockwave (least expensive) did go thru but did not function well. It bent on impact causing two of the three blades not to open and the third to break off in the deer. Luckily it was a double lung and the deer died quickly. The Shockwave is not reusable, and It appears they are not built to stand up to this kind of energy.

On the positive side, The NAP Spitfire 2 blade blew thru causing an excellent wound channel. The Spitfire is in good condition and reusable. During bag testing the Spitfire also grouped the best. Note: I used two o-rings on the Shockwave and the Spitfire which normally does not use an 0-ring I put 1 on it.

I will definately get some Rocket XL's and try them. In the meantime the NAP Spitfire 2 blade 100gr look like they work well but, need to be tested more.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Oh... the Rocket Steelhead blades appear to survive going through deer, but rarely survive impact with the ground afterwards.
However, since it's only $4 a replacement blade-set it's hardly worth worrying about.